Skip to main content
Topic: Default text in new posts (Read 1085 times) previous topic - next topic

Default text in new posts

I want to have something like

Business Name

Address

Phone

Website

I'll be installing a new version. Is this possible?

Rick

Re: Default text in new posts

Reply #1

Webforms are easy to build. What is the consequence of a new subscriber not filling one out, where do you want the information stored, and how do you want to "enforce" that?

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #2

Would this be for a certain board only on the forum, or would this be more like a required thing for each member?
If the latter, you could do profile fields, and have them display in the member's profile or even in their mini-profile on each post.
That's what I do for one of my sites, where they'd enter the info on registration. You can set it to be required.

Reply #3

I was thinking, (peering into the unidentified requirements and unknown desired behaviors) that a new user would be confined to a single "welcome" board, and in that board a welcome message with a link to a webform to fill out. Upon completion, the webform would be submitted and stored (I presume because of personal information such as address and phone it wouldn't be public in the forum), and the new member would then be elevated by a moderator to wider forum access.

There's lots of ways to deal with the expressed desire - but what way is best needs further information to offer a cogent solution
Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:35:22 pm by Steeley

Reply #4

My plan is to make this a forum for local business citations, backlinks and articles. I want to have that form in every new post and reply.

Rick

Reply #5

Quote from: Hometutor – My plan is to make this a forum for local business citations, backlinks and articles. I want to have that form in every new post and reply.

Rick

Are you thinking the poster's business name, address, phone and website be like a standardized "signature" for everyone who posts?  That is, you're not seeking the information from the reader, but presenting it about the poster (Burke_Knight's embedded "mini-profile" thought)?

(Another quick question - will the forum support email sending & replies?)
Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:33:10 am by Steeley

Reply #6

QuoteAre you thinking the poster's business name, address, phone and website be like a standardized "signature" for everyone who posts?  That is, you're not seeking the information from the reader, but presenting it about the poster (Burke_Knight's embedded "mini-profile" thought)?

Yes but I want that on top for local SEO purposes. No I'm not supporting email sending and replies.

Rick

Reply #7

I think this is for some kind of business forum but please be aware of data privacy rules, regulations and laws. Make sure you and your forum are covered with proper agreement and / or waiver.

Reply #8

Quote from: Hometutor –
QuoteAre you thinking the poster's business name, address, phone and website be like a standardized "signature" for everyone who posts?  That is, you're not seeking the information from the reader, but presenting it about the poster (Burke_Knight's embedded "mini-profile" thought)?

Yes but I want that on top for local SEO purposes. No I'm not supporting email sending and replies.

Rick
Well, if you want profile fields embedded (anywhere) in posts, it's going to take some coding. The long-standing forum principle is that if you want to know about the poster, click their profile, (and there's considerable admin flexibility to capture required information from your members for their "profile"), but I'm not aware of any "plug-ins" or 'add on's', at least written for EA or   adaptable from other forums (unless you want to go full business-oriented CMS like "Tiki-Wiki") that allow such customization at the admin-level (vs. programmer-level) to customize the interface and custom-content of posts , but I don't have a universal knowledge of all the options that gives me any confidence of that being 100% fact.

@Spuds or others ( @Burke_Knight ?) may know of some, or at least EA code hooks, or templates, that do it or allow it, or are modifiable to do it. 

At least your decision to not support email relieves a lot of additional coding effort and reduces the potential security and privacy issues significantly.   
Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:24:44 am by Steeley

Reply #9

You can set profile fields to show in the mini-profile or even above the signature.
What's even better, is that they can be set to be shown only to the member, member and staff, or all members.

Reply #10

Quote from: Burke_Knight – You can set profile fields to show ......... even above the signature.

Well I be dammed.. :anguished:

I had to go look at the profile configuration settings, and 'sho-nuff''

No matter how hard I try, I  learn something new every day.

(Now I have to forget something so I can remember that ... hope it wasn't something important..)