Skip to main content
Topic: Find out who read a topic (Read 1325 times) previous topic - next topic

Find out who read a topic

Is there a way to find out which users have read a particular topic? How is the read/unread flag tracked ... maybe in some sort of list?

Use case: we had an important announcement in a topic, and would like to ask for feedback from the users, but only the ones that have read the original topic.

Re: Find out who read a topic

Reply #1

Hi JP,

I'm pretty sure the read/unread data is in the database, log_mark_read table is a good place  to start, methinks..

-Steeley

On 3 Dec 2020 at 16:16, JPalmer via ElkArte Community wrote:
Quote Is there a way to find out which users have read a particular topic? > How is the read/unread flag tracked ... maybe in some sort of list?
Quote /> Use case: we had an important announcement in a topic, and would > like to ask for feedback from the users, but only the ones that have > read the original topic.

Posting Information:

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #2

So far that I remember, we do not log user movement in a forum but do have record on what he was doing last. An admin may have that log though.

Reply #3

Quote from: JPalmer – Is there a way to find out which users have read a particular topic? How is the read/unread flag tracked ... maybe in some sort of list?

Use case: we had an important announcement in a topic, and would like to ask for feedback from the users, but only the ones that have read the original topic.
Its pretty much number based ... it knows what the last post # that was made and when you come back, posts #'s newer than that are "new" but it does not track if you have read it or not .... you could visit the site, mark all topics as read, and leave ... that does not indicate you really read anything.   Its just a numbers game ;)

Reply #4

I see, thanks for the good explanation!