Skip to main content
Topic: forum-alternative-antriebe.de (Read 14006 times) previous topic - next topic

forum-alternative-antriebe.de

It's done!

I migrated my SMF forum, running since March 2010, to ElkArte with success! :)

I had problems with the numbers of threads and posts, but this was an SMF error. SMF counted wrong, so there was a difference between the old SMF board and the migrated ElkArte. But recounting at maintenance at both boards showed at last the same amount at both, so no problem at all. Users, custom profile fields, attachments, settings: all was migrated! I had to check the rights of my groups, there was something missing in ElkArte. But this was easy.

So, I am happy as I can be to present my second home: Das ELEKTRO- und HYBRID-Piloten Forum!

I made two themes for it, as we had them with SMF. A green one, which is the default setting and used with the blog about hybrid cars, and a blue theme, which I prefer and is used with the blog about electric cars. So the users can choose which color they prefer. I wanted to be sure everything is made as professional as possible so I made thumbnails for the themes for example. The small things count. ;)

Thanks a lot to the ElkArte team for this fine software and the help they gave me.  :)

Re: Das ELEKTRO- und HYBRID-Piloten Forum

Reply #1

Congrats! You finally did it! I am also near to finish my conversion.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Awesome and congratulations !!! 

Keep us up to date on how things run .. remember 1.0.2 is very soon and as new issues are found or tweaks needed we will add them to a 1.0.3 :D

Reply #3

We get a lot of errors in the log about login problems (SMF had a mod installed which needs the e-mail-adress to login instead of the username, maybe that's the problem. All users are informed that they should delete their cookie and login with their username) and undefined indexes. It seems some language strings are missing which are needed. I can post some of these errors if you wish?

Reply #4

Sure if you need help with them. 

The language strings should be somewhat obvious where they are missing. 

If the login errors show username as the entered name then that is the problem.  It should not be a site cookie problem as the cookie name should have changed.  However if the users are used to filling in the email address as the userid or the browser has remembered the login form for the site and is auto populating it, that could be the problem.

Reply #5

Congrats!
 emanuele is late to the party, but better late than never! :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I made some small changes to the theme (background now in light grey, optimized some shadows). It looks a lot better now in my opinion. I remember I read somebody asked about using light background as default for ElkArte but I can't remember where. So here's a sample how it could look like:

http://forum-alternative-antriebe.de

I made a third color variant of the theme because we now have boards not only for hybrid and electric cars but for fuel cell cars too. These colors are used in the logos and the websites. I attached screenshots of the three variations below.

Greensleaves is the forums default because it's kind of tradition. We used green colors since SMF. Bluesky looks quite more modern, stylish, greater then the green theme. Lemonysnicket looks a lot warmer and welcomes summer.  ;)

What do you think?

Reply #7

Those look really really nice !!  ... Feels like the slight color changes helped with text contrast as well, the text seems more crisp.

Could use some Lemonysnicket this way, got snow last night !

Reply #8

Quote from: Spuds – Those look really really nice !!  ... Feels like the slight color changes helped with text contrast as well, the text seems more crisp.

Thank you!  :)  I made the text slightly darker then it is here. We use #464646 for all texts 'cause I thought as well the standard text was a bit too pale. The text in the menu buttons in the header is #464646 too and uses not the link color as it is here.

Quote from: Spuds – Could use some Lemonysnicket this way, got snow last night !

Wow! Where are you from? We (germany) will have 15° Celsius (59° Fahrenheit) on sunday.  :o

Reply #9

Very very nice! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: forum-alternative-antriebe.de

Reply #10

QuoteThank you!  :)  I made the text slightly darker then it is here. We use #464646 for all texts 'cause I thought as well the standard text was a bit too pale. The text in the menu buttons in the header is #464646 too and uses not the link color as it is here.
nods I made a post about the current text contrast being a bit low, its generally at the minimum AA web accessibility conformance level and in a couple of spots its outside of that.  But minimum is just that, bumping it up just a little can make a marked improvement in legibility.

QuoteWow! Where are you from? We (germany) will have 15° Celsius (59° Fahrenheit) on sunday.  :o
Texas, and its not supposed to be this cold !  Have had been a mild winter up to the last 2 weeks, but it was -6C this am ... They claim next week we are back in the 22C range, can't come soon enough!

Reply #11

Strange!

Reply #12

I really like the idea for a dark theme with the colorful headers used now. In general I don't like dark backgrounds and light texts, it seems unnatural (like a book with dark pages and white letters) and is not easy to read. But a lot of people do, so what do you think? Can a dark theme be a benefit for my little board?

Reply #13

I agree with what you are saying, the white with dark letters seems more natural, probably just what we all grew up with from books to magazines, etc ... That said, the funny thing is, all of my editors for programming are on a dark background with colored text! 

Darker themes are popular, and if done right can be quite easy to read, so I'd say go for it!

Reply #14

Looks good !  I like the font colors & menu highlight in lemonysnicket; what did you use ?