Skip to main content
Topic: mark PMs unread? (Read 6793 times) previous topic - next topic

mark PMs unread?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3328 Would be great as a build-in feature in Elk ;D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: mark PMs unread?

Reply #1

emanuele proposed to add it to SMF too.

So: +1! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

For craps sake yes! Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to do that to remind myself about something that was in a PM.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

emanuele has 70 unread PMs at sm.org and 7 here at elk.net (and 255 unread email notifications!) because he thinks it helps remember things...

except when you go back and find a PM from 3 years ago and you have no clues if the issue is still valid or even worse what the issue was! LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Ohhh... I forgot about that one!

Well, let's put the goodies in I say. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Yup ... seems like a simple thing to add a mark as unread .... I'd say do it

Reply #6

I was taking a quick look at this and ended up  ???

There are some oddities to be certain with the way PM's work, and in what view mode (all at once, one at a time, conversation) you are in.

So lets take for example conversation mode,  the first odd thing is that if you are marking the last PM you received as unread, you need to do that and then be redirected away from PMs.  Otherwise if you go to the inbox, that message is displayed (by default) and as such its marked as read.   (other messages are fine, this is just the latest one that presents this issue)

So that's a bit of a flaky behavior.  We could simply not display any pm;s when first entering the inbox, and defer the viewing until you actually select a message or a conversation thread.  That may make more sense, to not show anything until asked.

The next flakey thing is (staying in conversation mode) you go to a conversation that has some replies, and you mark one of the messages as unread (not the last one, but one of the others in the conversation), well that will update your counters, but it does not currently set the new flag on the message.  

For this case we would have to use the msg_id -> pm_head -> get highest msg_id number and mark that as the unread one.   This would cause the new/unread icon to appear in the inbox.  So again a bit of an odd behavior, mark message A as unread but the system has to mark message C instead so you can find it again.   We could check the entire conversation for an unread message and set the new flag, which again makes more sense, not sure what that query looks like.

Of course if you are in one at a time mode, you could (in the above example) select A and it will show as unread since its not tucked inside of conversation so each message is visible in the inbox

Then there is all at once, why do we have that anyway :P I don't think you could mark anything as unread in that view.

@emanuele you wrote a mod for this, what you suggest?

Reply #7

I remember that series of oddities and I couldn't do anything else than work around them:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Mark-PMs-Unread

The PM system is anyway odd in many ways (for example I just sent a message in one conversation and I was sent to the "main page", that would mark the latest message received as read if there were one).
I'm tempted to say let's wait for 1.1 and the PM overhaul? O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote 'm tempted to say let's wait for 1.1 and the PM overhaul?
Now that was a news worthy quote, so I added it to the admin news feed :P  Part of that overhaul will be attachments yes  :D

Reply #9

You could also mark PMS as read only after you replied. Or if you click a mark read button.