Skip to main content
Topic: Language folder (Read 2636 times) previous topic - next topic

Language folder

As for all Themes becomes the language loaded from the default theme. Would it not make sense to move the language folder in the root?

Re: Language folder

Reply #1

This question gets asked fairly often. The reason why it is not in a language directory is because if you are creating a revolutionary theme, it might have different text.

I think it's about time to have 2 directories though. One will be the default text and the other will be the theme text. Load the default, then the theme, if it exists. A simple setting in the theme would enable it to check for additional $txt "has_own_txt".

This isn't so much about space as just making themes a little easier to understand.

Reply #2

If Theme own language strings needed this might be regulated with a separate language file. A second additional language folder must not be true.

Regards Stephan

Reply #3

I'm pretty sure there is already another topic around (or maybe few messages in a topic) about... the topic. LOL

Yup, I'd move that directory somewhere else and find a way to deal with themes.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

If you change $languagedir it has to still be in a directory with 'languages' or it won't work.

Reply #6

I have not until now tested it. It should work $languagedir = $boarddir . '/themes/default/languages  change to $languagedir = $boarddir . '/languages.

Example
bootstrap.php, index.php,
Code: (php) [Select]
if ((empty($languagedir) || !file_exists($languagedir)) && file_exists($boarddir . '/themes/default/languages'))

$languagedir = $boarddir . '/themes/default/languages';

change to
Code: (php) [Select]
if ((empty($languagedir) || !file_exists($languagedir)) && file_exists($boarddir . '/languages'))

$languagedir = $boarddir . '/languages';

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/search?p=1&q=%24languagedir&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Regards Stephan

Reply #7

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – If you change $languagedir it has to still be in a directory with 'languages' or it won't work.
O_o
If it doesn't then I guess it's a bug.
At least I can't think of any reason for having it like that, $languagedir should define a constant the way other directories do and be used "as such".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

This post of mine is not a bug requests, but to lay a proposal in the future the languagefile folder in the root 8) 
Regards Stephan

Reply #9

Sorry for hi-jacking it but if you remove /languages and move it to /foobar it won't work.