Skip to main content
Topic: Reserved names (Read 1719 times) previous topic - next topic

Reserved names

I noticed it last week talking about reserved names in another topic, now I was thinking about it again and decided to post.

The access to the page where you can set reserved names is limited to members with 'admin_forum' permission.
The use of reserved names is allowed to people with 'moderate_forum' permission.

It's an inconsistency.
I'm not sure what is the expectation.

For me it should be changed so that only 'admin_forum' can use reserved name.
The alternative could be that 'moderate_forum' can access to the page to add/remove reserved names (actually the page could even be read-only for 'moderate_forum', so that they can know exactly what are the reserved names/strings).

Opinions?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Reserved names

Reply #1

:)   Well, I know we differ on this but I really believe that if the word/name is reserved then that is what it is. Reserved and untouchable for everyone for as long as it sits on the reserved list.  For anyone, Admin or otherwise to use the word the Admin should make the decision and effort to remove the word from the list.

Re: Reserved names

Reply #2

I say limit use of the names to admin.  Mods reading them is fine.  They're reserved not forbidden and they include substrings.  So maybe here they want to reserve "Elkarte" the substring so that only the admin can dole out the names like ElkarteBugCreator and such.