Skip to main content
Topic: Page Title Adjustment (Read 2320 times) previous topic - next topic

Page Title Adjustment

When on a page in the forum, if hover to see the page title, it only shows the page.
I think it really should show the site name, then the page.

For example, on the Start New Topic posting page, it should show:

ElkArte Community - Start New Topic

Now, it just says:

Start new topic

This, would also help keep things in search engines, a bit cleaner, too, as all forums have several pages with the same page title, and I think if the title have the site name as well, it could group results for same site easier.

Re: Page Title Adjustment

Reply #1

At least not before, but after "Start New Topic - ElkArte Community".
Reason: if you have several tabs open, you'll get the first part of the title and so you'll never really know what page you are on. Of course you could argue that several forums may have the same page name, but you can easily organize tabs based on forums (e.g. open all the pages of a certain forum in a window, or open all the pages of a certain forum close to each other), less based on page names (i.e. all the "new topics" pages in a window and so on doesn't really work. :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I normally use something like this in specifying my searches e.g. site:elkarte.net title. Of course that suggested search can also lead you to the elkarte addon that can do what you wanted. ;)

Reply #3

Yes, there's the addon, but IMHO, this is something that should be core.
Maybe have where people can choose where to put the site title, and a field to add custom.
Some sites, have a longer title than they need to have on every page.
Like one of my sites, could use the short name for the site on the other pages, and just the whole name, on main page.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – At least not before, but after "Start New Topic - ElkArte Community".

@emanuele, I just realized this when looking into it. By default of Elk forum shows only page title in the browser e.g. "Page Title Adjustment" but in the page search it will shows as e.g. "Page Title Adjustment - ElkArte".

Surprisingly too, this forum is named ElkArte Community but the name in searches only appear as "- Elkarte".

Is the above is now a default in both 1.0 and 1.1 branch or just in 1.1?

If I wish to upgrade the addon to next level, I need to understand the sources of this to make necessary changes by the addon. The only main reference that I know is Load.php and Subs.php. Do suggest any other files should I look into for this.

Edited: I updated the addon anyway but not with all the suggested ideas for the time being. I hope the above ElkArte Community and ElkArte title things is default, so I don't have to think on how to add that in the addon.
Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:44:54 pm by ahrasis

Reply #5

Where exactly are you seeing it?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Google search result page and this site page on browser.

Reply #7

Ohh... you mean google! I thought you were talking about elkarte's search results!
Only google knows.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

So the reason for showing only "- ElkArte" and not "- ElkArte Forum" is not coming from Elk software? Interesting...

Could it be caused by the fact that Elk is installed in subfolder (community), so that google is basing its ending from the the root folder instead? Just a curious thought.

Reply #9

emanuele has no idea at all
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.