Skip to main content
Topic: CrawlProtect and Elkarte? (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

CrawlProtect and Elkarte?

Did not find a subject on this via search so goes the question.  What are the views of using CrawlProtect with Elkarte? Is it needed or is Elkarte security robust enough to do without CrawlProtect?

[nofollow]http://www.crawltrack.net/crawlprotect/download.php[nofollow]

Thanks

Re: CrawlProtect and Elkarte?

Reply #1

Hi Lou and welcome to ElkArte.

I guess any help is good.
I'm not sure exactly what CrawlProtect does. Elk should not have huge holes, but as usual, you never know until it's too late. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

The last Release from is
QuoteVersion 3.3.2  November 26th 2011

I looks like a dead Project.

Reply #3

Quote from: emanuele – Hi Lou and welcome to ElkArte.

I guess any help is good.
I'm not sure exactly what CrawlProtect does. Elk should not have huge holes, but as usual, you never know until it's too late. :-\

It is a tool I have used for about 4 years on personal sites and sites I have set up for others. It is a script that uses .htaccess to block spammers, hackers and content thieves.  Works quite well and has an admin window where the admin can view the attacking IP and  other things. The script will also make recommendations for chmod files for increased protection and do it for you. I have used it with out any issues on SMF and Wordpress. 

In stall it on a test site and see what you think. It may be worth adding to Elkarte as an addon.  <<shrug>>

Reply #4

Quote from: Nifty – The last Release from is
QuoteVersion 3.3.2  November 26th 2011

I looks like a dead Project.
Not sure if it is dead or if it simply does not need improving until something changes in php? Not really sure but the owner still has the site up so he must have some interest in it I suppose.

This is the latest version actually ... Release 3-2-5b November 8th 2013

Still, it does make one wonder just how much interest is left in it.  Regardless, the current version seems to still work well.