Skip to main content
Topic: Word censor: should be thoroughly tested, yes? (Read 10688 times) previous topic - next topic

Word censor: should be thoroughly tested, yes?

This software has a word censor in admin, right? So that means we can swear to our heart's content, right? If stuff is censored, it doesn't matter. Nobody who doesn't like shock horror naughty words has to read them. Anyone who actually prefers to see the swearing rather than whatever else can turn the censor off in their profile settings, yes?

This means everyone happy. No worries.

Don't tell me that some people don't like swearing. That's no more relevant than other people liking it a lot. It's no more relevant than other people getting tired of having to walk on eggshells because someone might flip out if they see a word they don't like.

It's particularly funny that said people only flip out because that is what they have programmed themselves to do. First they have to learn the word, then they have to make a decision that this word is something they are going to have to be offended by. The word itself is completely innocent. It doesn't do anything. The offense is caused entirely inside the mind of the person being offended. IOW these people are, in a very real sense, choosing to offend themselves.

Also, don't even try to claim that swearing is evidence of an inabilty to use language properly, or even an indication of lesser intelligence. It isn't. It's part of language and adds to the range of expression, like any other words. That's why it was invented. :P

So, how about testing out the word filter to make sure it's not borken before 1.0 goes out the door?

Test cases are no problem. I can easily and happily provide you with all the test cases you'll need. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Word censor: should be thoroughly tested, yes?

Reply #1

Seriously?  Giving you permission to use expletives?  That word censor is CPU intensive, you would crash the website :P

I did add in a few choice words for easy gentle testing, but just the easy ones for the expletively challenged

Reply #2

I only have the best interests of the project at heart. If it can be demonstrated that Elkarte allows myself and the prissiest of Sunday school teachers to happily coexist on the same board, it will be obvious to the entire world that Elkarte is software of awesome power, and eminently suited to the nurturing and sustenance of vibrant and inclusive communities.

With a bit of lateral thinking, my penchant for profanity could be leveraged into a significant marketing advantage.

Reply #3

So I need to add in some Sunday School teacher => Fart Knocker words as well?   I wonder if that will cause it to loop :P

ETA: Ah good the first filter worked :P

Reply #4

Ok, where's the gently caress "Turn off word censor CheezWhiz" option in profille?

Reply #5

ROFL. You didn't include those words. :D

For comprehensive testing, you'd need to allow the user option in admin. ;)

Reply #6

Well it kind of works if you don't have it disabled in your profile  O:-)

Reply #7

I can't disable it in my profile. You've disallowed that in admin. Ergo, cannot test. :P

Reply #8

Well if you disable it, how would you know its working ?

Reply #9

The option is not visible in profile settings. Ergo, cannot enable or disable in profile settings. :P

Methinks this is because someone has not checked the little box in admin that allows people to enable or disable said censor in their profile settings.

If the box in admin is checked, you have an interface bug in profile.

Reply #10

But I went in to your profile and turned the "Leave words uncensored." option off after your first post, are you still seeing naughty bits?

Reply #11

Hey cool. We've found bugz. :D

Ok, the option always used to be under Look and Layout. I can't see it there. It's not turning up in my browser at all.

Also, I'm still seeing the censored version in the posts in this thread, so that would seem to be another bug.

Reply #12

Ah I see ... yes a few things in play, not sure how they are work.

There is a permissions "Disable word censor" which displays the option to turn on/off the word censor, its currently set to disallow so its not showing.

Then there is the Theme option "Allow users to turn off word censoring: " I'm not sure that is still used TBH, maybe it was moved to permissions and not removed from there, or both are needed or ? ? ? 

Reply #13

IIRC, the first one is the basic on/off for the entire site and sets default site behaviour. The second is what allows users to chose whether or not the content they see will be censored.

If the first is enabled (censoring active) then the second has to be available in profile, and selected, to switch censoring off.

I've looked around in my profile pages, and can't see the second one anywhere.

Presumably, due to not requiring posts to be filtered, having that second option selected would reduce CPU load and speed up content delivery. That's a good argument for having it workable (not that I'm biased or anything :P).

Reply #14

Here's a shot of what I've got under Look and Layout.

I'm thinking that for ease of use from an admin's perspective, it probably makes the most sense if allowing the user-selectable filtering is set on the same page as the censoring itself. That would minimise head scratching and running around in circles, AFAICT.