Skip to main content
Topic: buglet/feature footnotes [was: Re: On the release cycle] (Read 5733 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from On the release cycle

buglet/feature footnotes [was: Re: On the release cycle]

emanuele thinks there is a small buglet in footnotes (i.e. shown even when in quotes) :P

But it could even be considered a feature actually... O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: buglet/feature footnotes [was: Re: On the release cycle]

Reply #1

Quote from: emanuele –
 emanuele thinks there is a small buglet in footnotes (i.e. shown even when in quotes) :P

But it could even be considered a feature actually... O:-)

I thought it was a bug at first too, but then I realized it's working as intended? I say that because of you quoted someone with a footnote, you still need the footnote right? The problem is where the footnote is placed. It should be either placed within the quote, or footnotes should be hidden/ingored when quoted.

Reply #2

Yup I went back and forth on that ...

The first version I disabled them when in a quote, then I thought, humm you really need to so those so I put them back.   You could try to place them inside the quote block but that contains it but that may be a special sort of hell to get right as well, not sure, and may be an issues when you quote a footnote and reply with a footnote in your reply, etc

Just need to decided on the expected behavior, and then try to implement that, I think we can be overly clever here and cause more problems then we fix :D

Reply #3

I've had more time to think about it. I think the best solution and easiest to code would be to allow the footnote marker in the quote, but do not show the footnote definition in the quoted post. The footnote marker still links to the original footnote definition, and I think that will suffice.

Just my opinion.

Reply #4

That may make the most sense, but there will be complications depending on how someone quotes a message.

If they did not use the full quote there is no way to determine the original message, in which case you can't link it.  Then there is quote to a new topic,  I think that will work but it may be an additional complication.   In some ways having it as a link away from the page you are on (since the footnote may be in another message or a different page of the same message)  feels like it could break the reading flow as well, I'm still in hummm don't know mode :D

Reply #5

If I personally had to choose between having it and not having it in quotes, I'd rather not. Just my personal preferences. Or perhaps and option to turn it on/off in quotes would make everyone happy?

Reply #6

It may look a bit confusing at first, though it make sense to have it there in my opinion.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

It made people easier to track the references, but some may find it cluttering the post.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #8

Showing footnotes inside quotes was Pete's final suggestion before he left Wedge. I implemented it in about 10 minutes but maybe my architecture is geared towards doing that kind of stuff, I don't know. I'd recommend doing it, too.