Skip to main content
Topic: Registration Screen - Warning balloon not sticky (Read 3607 times) previous topic - next topic

Registration Screen - Warning balloon not sticky

Maybe by design and maybe not.  :)

When registering and leaving any of the fields blank ( except the verification) a pop-up balloon stating "Please fill out this field" is shown. If you do not click on the screen, but only scroll the screen, the balloon is not sticky to the field that is missing information. At any time click outside of the browser or in the browser and the balloon disappears.  If you do not click and scroll the screen and let the balloon rest for a minute and then barely touch the mouse wheel, the balloon will move to the needed field, but not be sticky.

If you fill out all the fields except the verification field and click Register then a warning box is displayed below the linktree. 

I think the rose coloured box below the linktree is the better option for all the fields.

Re: Registration Screen - Warning balloon not sticky

Reply #1

The popup disappears for me no matter what after about 5 seconds. Clicking focus outside the browser does as you mention. Scrolling the screen up and down the balloon is attached to the username for me and stays with it. This is in Chrome latest version.

Some uniform validation for all the fields would be nice. Personally I'd rather have the validation happen in both places. Prevent the user from being able to submit with the jquery validation ( I think that is what's used). If the user is able to submit the form without javascript enabled, show them the list of errors above the registration form.

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #2

The balloons are not an ElkArte feature, but are generated by your browser:
http://www.broken-links.com/2011/03/28/html5-form-validation/

I don't think at the moment there are ways to style them.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Emmanuel, thanks for the interesting link. I had no idea that FF 28 was doing this via HTML5. I suppose the good news is that I have found this behaviour only at the registration screen, so far. None of the data input fields in Admin produce an error bubble on bad data, that I have found anyway. I did test it today at SMF using FF 28 and IE 11 and the error message is the standard message below the linktree. No bubble produced at SMF.

I have no decision in what happens but my view on the matter is that at present, any error balloon given by the browser would 'break' the visual look of of any theme. So, I would rather see an implementation of the standard error message below the Required Infomation bar, in this case. That warning placement will stay visible to the user until they have entered the proper information ( or some kind of information ) and then submitted the information. With the current balloon warning, it is not sticky to the errored input field (may be browser dependent), disappears and if the user is not attentative they did not catch what the balloon was saying.

Reply #4

I just looked at this.  I agree it seems html5's error checking might be a bit immature.  It's email checking isn't even all that rigorous in firefox 27 at least.  x@x is a perfectly good email address according to firefox.

Maybe Elk should still be handling all the verification itself.

Reply #5

Quote from: scripple – Maybe Elk should still be handling all the verification itself.
Nope, please not.. That's the nature of HTML5 and the browser differences..  I'm pretty sure the browser vendors will improve those handling / styling in the future.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #6

Validation of fields is still done and will always be done on the server-side. The HTML5 is just a "goodies" in the sense that it gives browsers the opportunity to handle invalid fields before they are sent to the server and "do something" with that info.
Yes, it's still an immature set of functions, but I think it's not too early to start using them.

And re-reading this:
Quote from: AaronB – If you fill out all the fields except the verification field and click Register then a warning box is displayed below the linktree.
That is worth thinking: all the "required" fields should have the "required" attribute for consistency's sake.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.