Skip to main content
Topic: Getting rid of the default theme (Read 7239 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting rid of the default theme

Yes, yes, I know it has been discussed several times a change in the name, well what I'm suggesting here is just to get rid of it entirely once and for all.

And with default I don't mean a theme that is a base for all the others, but just a theme that resides in the "default" directory.
The "default" theme doesn't really need to stay in the "default" directory except for install and maybe some pieces of upgrade.
Apart those two places, everywhere else the directory is taken from the database.
We could use a new variable in Settings.php to define the default_theme_dir during install and/or upgrade or something like that.

Quick thought, not developed much, written down just to remember. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Getting rid of the default theme

Reply #1

Quote from: emanuele – We could use a new variable in Settings.php to define the default_theme_dir during install and/or upgrade or something like that.
That could work -- but only if you suggest screenshots to the admin, otherwise (if they're not experienced), they might just entirely skip this setting.

Interesting that a 'default theme' should be defined as the 'base theme'. In my case, the 'default' skin is Wilde, which is only a 'child' of the root skin. And that's what the main skin is -- a 'root' skin, on which others CAN be based (you can also throw it all away). However, I've never been able to make it so 'raw' that it'll be halfway between 'nice looking' and 'realistic enough to base more serious work upon, without having to reset over-styled elements.'

Whenever I think of that, I'm depressed. (Yes, I'm easily depressed.)

Reply #2

Quote from: Nao – That could work -- but only if you suggest screenshots to the admin, otherwise (if they're not experienced), they might just entirely skip this setting.
Well... that would be one of those odd settings that you should never know about.
What I have in mind (but is running wild while I write, so I may mess things up badly) is to have the setting only before install, once the the db is populated the setting is discarded (like the piece that redirects to install) and the value from the db is used instead.
When upgrading it's a different matter, here may be more complex to define a new default, for example it could be necessary to "hard-code" it into upgrade.php and change it when necessary.
Things to consider...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I'm not even sure we were talking about the same thing, by now...   :-X

Reply #4

Oooops.

What I'm talking about is exactly the themes/default directory.
For example now we have themes/default with a theme, what I was thinking is that this theme should stay instead in themes/wombats.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

I can see this requiring a lot of testing so I think you should wait until 1.1, but I think it is an excellent idea.