Skip to main content
Topic: E-mails (Read 3501 times) previous topic - next topic

E-mails

I have installed ElkArte on my domain: forum.thevhgroup.ml and I have indeed found this one as the best and the lightest forum for my website. However, I tried resetting my own password just to be sure that the forum is finally ready to be released for the public. However, I'm not getting any e-mail. I've configured SMTP properly, but still, no luck. What are we supposed to do to make the e-mails go out properly? If just the SMTP, then, I'll have to check the settings again with my hosting provider. But, if anything else too is required, please, let me know.

Re: E-mails

Reply #1

Hi hkokate and welcome to elk.net. :)

emails should work without much else.
I'd suggest you a couple of thinkg to try identify the issue:
1) try to see if there is any error in the log,
2) try with php mail,
3) try enabling the mail queue and see if there is any error.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

@emanuele

There are quite a few errors, but, most of them are of packages. However, there are two which show this link https://forum.thevhgroup.ml/index.php?scheduled=mailq;ts=1519618737

They show user as Guest, no_session_data and type of error as general. So, I guess, that's the error we're looking for.

To try PHP mail, I guess, that won't work. Because, I'm hosting my website on a different host and managing email on a different service. So, I have to set up SMTP only, I guess (correct if I'm wrong).

Tried the mail queue thing and ended up with another link in the error (only the last digits differ)

Also, I'm unable to uninstall a module. This is the error I'm getting: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/php_sessions:/tmp:/var/www/errors:/usr/share/pear:/home/vol10_5/epizy.com/epiz_21671540/forum.thevhgroup.ml/htdocs). Why can't I just directly delete the module? It says then that I might not be able to uninstall the module later?

Reply #3

Let's not mix things, please open another topic in support for that.

Okay, provided we are using smtp here, it shpuld work properly at least in some cases.
Would you mind trying with a gmail account for the sake of confirming if smtp works at all for you?
Then we can narrow the debugging.

BTW, I'm assuming you are using 1.1.1, am I right?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

@emanuele

Nope. Gmail didn't work too. I've used smtp.gmail.com, port 587, with my full Gmail email address and the generated app password. Am I supposed to select STARTTLS for secure ports like 465 and 587? Sorry for the delayed reply, I was trying out other stuff.

Reply #5

hmm... honestly I'm not that expert on email and settings. It would be a question for @Spuds O:-)
But, if you get the error in the log from the queue, I would say that there is a communication problem between the two.

Unfortunately there is a bug that hides the actual error message in the error log, there is a fix but I can't find it at the moment... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

hello and welcome to elkarte!
wihich provider are you using as external SMTP? I use sparkpostmail and works fine for me. I am not sure, but I had some problems in the past using the mail queue so I disabled it, I suggest you to try first without mail queue. I am using the 1.0.10 version, I didn't test the external smtp on elkarte 1.1.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

@radu81

At first, I was trying to use Yandex.Mail and then as @emanuele said, I tried Gmail. None works and disabling mail queue didn't help too.

Reply #8

Try STARTTLS and the less secure apps option in GMail.

Reply #9

@ahrasis

STARTTLS for Gmail helped. Thanks. But, I'd still want to try and use the Yandex account.

Reply #10

Oh! I just saw that even if I use Gmail SMTP, I'm still receiving emails from the Yandex account (the Yandex account is my admin account's email address, maybe, that's why?) So, is it true? If this is the case, I have no issues in using Gmail SMTP. I just want the forum email to be the Yandex one.

Reply #11

Sorry but I don't know about Yandex. I am using my GSuite email account as a relay and I am using smtp-relay.gmail.com instead of smtp.gmail.com. Using relay means you can use your email like no-reply@yourforum.tld instead of youremail@gmail.com. I am not sure if relay is available for non GSuite user. And I think STARTTLS is using port 587 but if SSL it should be using port 465 instead. Check Yandex for its SMTP documentation to be certain.

Reply #12

@ahrasis
Yeah. Yandex's using port 465. However, I think, I'm fine with this now. Because, even after using Gmail's SMTP, I'm getting the emails from the email address at my domain (the Yandex one - and that's the email address I'm usign as an admin). So, as long as users would be able to see the email coming from an email address at my domian, I'm good to use Gmail's SMTP servers too. Thank you all for help.

Reply #13

I'm not sure if this is still relevant:
https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/issues/283
seems 587 would be the choice of preference for secure connection on Yandex
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.