Skip to main content
Topic: Tiny screen (Read 6661 times) previous topic - next topic

Tiny screen

Hello!

My screen is not tiny, but it is not very big at all.  ;)

At the moment I can hardly read the small font in forum, because I have to zoom in browser to 90% to see the buttons like this.
If I don't zoom, the buttons look like this, wich is confusing me.

Re: Tiny screen

Reply #1

What is the exact resolution of the screen? 1024xsomething?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I am not sure, Emanuele, sorry.

I think it is 1255 width? (edit: see the screenshot, it is 1280 x 1024)

Before I had seen the forum proper.

Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:39:06 pm by Ruth

Reply #3

O_o
What browser are you using?
The "toggle" between names and icons should be 1024 pixels, but probably there is some other factor weighting in...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I am using opera.
I will make a try with firefox.

Edit: It is the same in firefox.

Reply #5

Does it still look like that with your browser window maximized?

What you are seeing are the mobile icons but they should not be occurring at your screen resolutions.

Reply #6

What do you mean by "maximized", Spuds?

I see the mobile icons if I don't zoom to 90 % in browser. If I use 100% or zoom to 110 % or more, they will stay.

It will also not change if I change the size on my desktop from "smaller" -100 % to "middle" - 125 %. I will get the same result in browser: If I can read everything, I will see the mobile icons.

I think I have to try another screen resolution or buy better glasses.  ;)  8)

Reply #7

QuoteI think I have to try another screen resolution or buy better glasses.  ;)  8)
LOL ... I'm thankful everyday for hi index glasses :D

Maximize ... the opposite of Minimize ... that square box icon in the top right of the browser window, next to the red x for close the window and the - for minimize.   I just want to make sure your browser window is a large as possible (but don't use zoom).  Really what you are seeing should not be happening and I can't think of what changed in 1.1 that would cause this.

Maybe "refresh" the browser, press ctrl + F5 and see if that fixes anything.

Reply #8

Thank you, Spuds.

I have tried this, but nothing has changed.

Reply #9

Potentially interesting thing: your 90% is (still) slightly bigger than my 100% in terms of pixels.

No need to change anything on your side, let's first find the problem and understand if there is a solution.

One thing I came up with (but I have to verify) is that you may be using a "system wide" (i.e. set at the level of the operating system) font size bigger than "normal" (i.e. 125% for example).
Being most of the sizes in ElkArte based on em (and so based off the size of the font), this may trick the browser making triggering the "wrong" media query.

Later I'll switch on the windows machine and I'll test it out. ;)

One thing, though, in general, I feel 1024 for the first "step" seems to me still too big, I have a laptop with a 1024 screen and I don't really like have certain informations hidden just like I was on a mobile thingy.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Emanuele, maybe it is just my old, small screen, O:-)  why I can't see the forum proper. The width of my screen is 34 cm.

I am used to zoom all the time in browser, because I would not see the number of posts and topics in the boards, if I don't zoom to 90%. It is the same in each ElkArte-Forum, that I know.

It is not this important, I need not to see the number of posts and topics all the time. So after I had a look at it, I always change back to 100% to get a larger font-size again, wich is better to read for my poor old eyes. ;)

Reply #11

What I'm trying to explain is that the size of your screen should show the forum "normally" like it does on mine. If it doesn't (and it doesn't in your experience) there is a reason. If we can find that reason we can understand what the problem is.

Did this start to happen after the upgrade or were you using the zoom trick even before?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I had always to zoom before the upgrade, yes. Otherwise I did not see the number of posts and topics in the boards.

But that I see the mobile icons, if I don't zoom, happened after the upgrade.

Reply #13

What does your window.innerWidth say? (Right click, inspect somewhere, press Escape to bring up the console, and type that.)

Reply #14

It says 1024 x 724