Skip to main content
Topic: Tiny screen (Read 6657 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tiny screen

Reply #15

Yes, after testing it out, I think I can confirm it's the effect of setting a 125% zoom at the OS (Windows) level.
So, to sum it up, you have your Windows machine set up to show anything zoomed at 125%, your screen is 1255px wide, and the zoom set makes the browser think it's only 1024 forcing the media query to kick in and change stuff the "mobile" way.

I'm not sure what would be the cleanest way to fix this behaviour, I'm not even sure changing the media limits from being expressed in em to px would fix it...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

But it will stay the same to me if the setting is not 125 % on the windows level. At the moment it is 100 %. (see screenshot)

100 % or 110% zoom in browser will show me the forum completly and without mobile icons. ( but he font is very tiny)
If I zoom to 125 %  in browser, I will see the mobile icons again.

It is always the same result.

Reply #17

Quote from: emanuele – I'm not sure what would be the cleanest way to fix this behaviour, I'm not even sure changing the media limits from being expressed in em to px would fix it...
It wouldn't and shouldn't. However, imo the switch from text to icons[1] happens far too early.
They're broken btw.

Reply #18

I don't know, what to do. Most oft our Users are over the age of 70. I have tried to make the font-sizes  as large as possible for them. It was difficult to manage this with my screen, because I had always to zoom in and out... and to guess, how the forum will look like for them. ::) 

Tomorrow I will meet a friend, her screen ist larger than mine, so I can try about the font-sizes again. 

But I think, that most of our Users have got a bigger Screen than mine. So maybe this is just my problem, about the width of the forum and in future this "toggling" to the mobile icons.

Reply #19

I also have a forum that has many users over 70  :)

When I first updated to Elk I heard from them about a) contrast and b) font size ... I increased both and that really helped.    So I agree that we should increase them, and, at least in my case, it only took a small tweak to both to really make an improvement for them.

I'm still not sure why you are seeing the menu icons, but we will get it fixed, several of the changes we made were to improve accessibility in 1.1 final, we are just not there yet.

Reply #20

Quote from: Frenzie – ...imo the switch from text to icons happens far too early.
mhh, maybe we should switch by device type (PC, tablet, smartphone) instead of screen resolution? I'd  personally favour icons instead of text on touch devices, independent from the screen resolution.

Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #21

Quote from: TE – I'd  personally favour icons instead of text on touch devices, independent from the screen resolution.
Not me. My phone in landscape is actually one of the scenarios I was thinking of. Heh. :P

Reply #22

Quote from: Frenzie – Not me. My phone in landscape is actually one of the scenarios I was thinking of. Heh. :P
agreed, I personally use my devices (tablet, phone) rarely in landscape mode  ;) .. I believe this would be best as a user option..

Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #23

emanuele wonders if just use the classic hamburger and be done with it wouldn't be a "better" solution than icons...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

Nah, that's less elegant than what I proposed on GitHub. ;)

The only minor problem is that there are three extremely similar looking icons. What happened to the envelope?

Reply #25

Think it was because I didn't want to get it confused with the e-mail elements.

Suggestions are welcome, the unreadreplies pair were some very tired choices on my part. I took a break for a reason.

Reply #26

I suppose it is slightly inconsistent in 1.0 between the user profile and the top menu. What if the new posts were some kind of document icon to be consistent with the topic icon?

https://github.com/Templarian/WindowsIcons/blob/master/WindowsPhone/svg/appbar.page.bold.svg

Here are some other related ideas for inspiration

https://github.com/Templarian/WindowsIcons/blob/master/WindowsPhone/svg/appbar.newspaper.svg
https://github.com/Templarian/WindowsIcons/blob/master/WindowsPhone/svg/appbar.notification.above.svg
https://github.com/Templarian/WindowsIcons/blob/master/WindowsPhone/svg/appbar.notification.above.multiple.svg

(Yeah, yeah, not Font Awesome, sue me. :P)

Reply #27

Not sure, if this is the correct topic, because it has nothing to do with the upgrade here and the too early "toggling" to the mobile icons for me.

But I want to say this:

All ElkArte-Forums, that I know, are using % for the  width of their wrapper (for example, here it is 92%, in my forum it is 99% at the moment).

If there would be a width in Pixel (for example about 990 px, wich looks nearly the same as 98% to me), it would never be possible for me to see the number of posts in a board.

To zoom in and out in browser to see or hide the infomations on the right side of the forum is not working, if the wrapper has got a width in px. So, if you want to be friendly to users with small screens, you should always use %. ;)