Skip to main content
Topic: Smileys are still gif. Why? (Read 11597 times) previous topic - next topic

Smileys are still gif. Why?

Just wondering. If not using animated smileys by default, it would probably make more sense to make the default sets png. This is better if you want the same smileys to handle both dark and light themes, and it's better for Android (which doesn't really support gif).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Smileys are still gif. Why?

Reply #1

Agree, makes sense  :)
Tracked, so we don't forget: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/500
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

Problem with the current sets is that they are gif and we don't have anything else (as far as I know), so convert them to png wouldn't change anything in respect to light and dark themes...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

One set was .png that I converted to .gif ... the main reason for gif was for the animated support.   ...  Could add support for both to the smiley code, but I can't even figure out how to use the smiley admin interface let alone the code :P

Reply #4

...I thought the extension was not "added" by the code, but included in the name...meh...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Your probably right, but I stand by
Quote I can't even figure out how to use the smiley admin interface let alone the code

Thanks
ol' StrawForBrains  :D

Reply #6

lol

Rewrite it! :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

I always found the SMF smiley admin stuffz quite easy to use. What have you done to it to make it difficult? :D

Reply #8

Spuds!!
You added drag&drop, you know smiley could benefit a lot from it, right? O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: Spuds – One set was .png that I converted to .gif ... the main reason for gif was for the animated support.   ...  Could add support for both to the smiley code..........
BTW, when I suggested .png for default smileys I was assuming that all common image file formats would be supported, not just .png. Some people will want custom animated smileys, and I have even used .jpg for some static "smileys" which weren't emoticons as such.

My idea was that if we use .png for default smileys that gets rids of the problem of the wrong matte colour on some backgrounds, because they wont need a matte at all. If someone wants a custom gif and it has to have a matte to stop it looking jaggy, that's their lookout. Nothing we can do about that.

Since the standard old SMF smiley stuffz already accepts any image format, we shouldn't need to change anything there. All we need to do is use .png for our default smileys. There ya go. :)

Reply #10

Smiley's should be fonts, not gif's or png's.

Reply #11

Tell that to all the people who want to use existing gif's and/or png's.

Reply #14

Not really. It's not a bad idea for some applications. I don't think it'd be popular for a forum though, since a lot of people will want to customise smiley sets, and that's easier with images. Yes, some things really are easier with images. You get that. :D