Skip to main content
Topic: SMF pretty urls and dead links (Read 2839 times) previous topic - next topic

SMF pretty urls and dead links

Hi all

I have been using SMF since over 10 years, it was a great forum software back then but seeing how slow it became to evolve, I have been looking for a replacement since a while. I have quite a large forum with lots of mods and it can be a problem to migrate to a new software. Today I came accross Elkarte and it seems to be a very interesting and promising project. I imagine I can do without most of the SMF mods but one of them has me worried, it 's Pretty URLs.
I don't really care about SEO improvements of such mods today but there are many internal links in my forum and probably in other websites that would become dead ones and with almost a million posts, there is no way I can edit all internal links that could have been posted in the past 10 years.
Is there any way to get Pretty URLs installed in a Elkarte foum or at least have a mod that will redirect old links to the new corresponding ones or am I forever stuck with SMF because of this mod?
Thank you.

Re: SMF pretty urls and dead links

Reply #1

Simple SEF is the closest we got in ElkArte. I don't think pretty url is gonna be ported at all. It's too complicated, at least from my view.

Reply #2

Thank you for your reply Ahrasis. I checked Simple SEF on GitHub but the format of the URLs is not the same as Pretty URLs so it won't resolve my problem. :(

Reply #3

I ported SimpleSEF because it looks easier (the less code the better! :P).
I can give a try to PrettyURL but not very soonish, at least not before 1.1 beta is released.

Of course, that doesn't rule out someone else picking up the task and try! Give help is much easier and I'm always available. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

It must be possible to use the apache/nginx rewrite rules to do it on the fly.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – I ported SimpleSEF because it looks easier (the less code the better! :P).
I can give a try to PrettyURL but not very soonish, at least not before 1.1 beta is released.

Of course, that doesn't rule out someone else picking up the task and try! Give help is much easier and I'm always available. ;D
Hi, I have found a "Pretty URL reverter" package that allows the redirection of all links to SMF and Elkarte default URLs. Maybe it would be easier to port this package to Elkarte?
https://code.google.com/archive/p/prettyurls/downloads