Skip to main content
Topic: Credits (Read 2851 times) previous topic - next topic

Credits

I don't want to look like an egoist beach but... I don't like the credits system you have. The reason is mainly one: people not actively coding aren't recognized at all.
There have been many people reporting bugs, suggesting features that have been implemented and stuff, but they aren't mentioned at all. I'll make an example with my own self (but I am ***NOT*** saying all of this just because of me) - the last 6 topics in the bug reports board are mine, and I have many many more. I feel I have contributed quite a bit for that, but I'd never show up unless I go to GitHub and do the PRs.
Like I said, this applies to many other people, not just "me".

Do note, I am nowhere near the real developers and I don't want a red carpet or anything, but I feel it would be more fair towards the people contributing :)
If you don't think so... It's ok anyway, I'll keep on helping regardless.
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:24:08 am by Flavio93Zena
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Re: Credits

Reply #1

Radu thinks he's funny
  ;D
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=memberlist

most Elkarte users reported bugs here, but reporting a bug is not the same as resolving a bug. IMO the credits are fine as they are now, they mention the people who contributed on github... just my 2 €cents :)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

True, but solutions may be provided without doing an actual pull request as well ;D

Reply #3

And people reporting bugs or providing solutions are (almost) always thanked in the commit message (except the few times I forgot).
But... honestly I'm not even sure what you are talking about:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=who;sa=credits
There is no one mentioned in any way.

But maybe you are talking about the home page?
Well, compile and keep up-to-date an hand-made list is not really in my todo list. If anyone wants, I'm not the one that would keep him from doing so, but I would expect at least some commitment, not a random "yeah, I'll do it!" and then next year the list is 11 months old.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I'm talking about this
QuoteContributors
For a complete list of the many individuals that contributed to the design and implementation of Elkarte, please refer to the official GitHub list of contributors.
Language Translators
Thank you for your efforts which make it possible for people all around the world to use ElkArte. For a complete list please refer to the offical Transifex list of contributors.
Which truly represents "who" created Elkarte has even a shorter description than the software/graphics credits. Not to be an ego freak but hey it's you who created it, not them :P
As for creating something... Hard to tell. There are no official positions on Elkarte, so it's not that straightforward. What could I say "emanuele the crazy support guy + developer" "spuds the one with the highest number of commits (IIRC)" and then even if I kept it on that line, where would the Developer/Non-Developer barrier be since technically everyone can contribute? It's tricky ;D

Reply #5

The credits page also says
QuoteWe want to thank everyone who supported the project by providing code, feedback, bug reports, and opinions, as none of this would have been possible without you.
I don't know if there is a way to capture all originators to the issue list, if so that could be added as a link as well, although that would miss some folks since not everyone uses github,.  So if that list (if it even exists) is not enough, someone would need to develop a list and some byzantine criteria for addition and then maintain the list at a place where it can be linked.

Reply #6

It's those cryteria that irk me, because whichever cryteria someone may choose, it'd never be totally right.

Reply #7

I understand the thoughts behind this thread, but I think there's no solution for this. There are so many ways to support and help ElkArte and his developers, you can't monitor all of them.

I am only in this list because I have a Transifex account, which I barely use. I ask @TE for uploading my changed language files (and I am glad he did it). For example: The real work I did for ElkArte (writing a german online help site which were hours and hours of highly concentrated work) is not found on the credits list too. It is not important for me too, just another example.

Keep it as it is, in my opinion. Name the official team behind ElkArte and thank the supporting users in general (without naming them directly).

Reply #8

Translated some stuff as well, I got a Transifex account myself. However translating some strings gives some problems, due to the way they are they can be translated in a number of ways >_<

Reply #9

;) We should use our energy to better make ElkArte.
Also I have founded in the short time many bugs and maked improvements. Here and on Github. I do this not to stand in the credits, but to make it even better to ElkArte.
Honestly I do not understand this discussion quite :-\

Regards Stephan

Reply #10

@Flavio93Zena, I think you're the only one that feels this way.