Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON][DEMO] Are you human (Read 5698 times) previous topic - next topic

[ADDON][DEMO] Are you human

Yes, yes, I know, I know: this is useless.
But its meaning is not actually be useful against spam, but demonstrate at this very moment how to create a mod (or better addon :P) to introduce a new anti-spam "something".

It's deliberately as simple as possible to show what is the "minimum" (it's not exactly the minimum, there is some unused code... :P) to create a new verification test.

It also served as a lesson, because I already forgot everything I did on that code and I had to study it again...

emanuele takes note to write documentation... ::)

ETA: download from:
https://github.com/emanuele45/are_you_human/releases
Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:12:09 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: [MOD] Are you human

Reply #1

Nice to see someone also working with a rewritten version of the verification system. I really must refactor that sometime into something else (right now it has 4 hooks, one for each of the different functions)

Reply #2

I don't remember exactly why, but the first time I had to face it for Elkarte I simply decided to (almost) rewrite it... well, at least deeply re-organize it. O:-)

Now with a hook and a properly formatted class (with 4 predefined methods) everything goes in the right place (including the admin page) without having to think too much.
It's not yet "perfect" (probably not even so nice to code), but at least is somehow meaningful I think. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

It's better than what we have (same as SMF with extra hooky goodness)

Re: [ADDON][DEMO] Are you human

Reply #4

Updated that too.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Wait, are you saying the "AreYouHuman" verification system is useless?

Reply #6

Isn't it? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

emanuele feels Xarcell is talking about something different from emanuele

This is just a "this is human" where there is a checkbox to tick if you are human. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele –
 emanuele feels Xarcell is talking about something different from emanuele

This is just a "this is human" where there is a checkbox to tick if you are human. ;)

Eh?

Confused with: http://areyouahuman.com/ which I thought you where saying it was useless. People report positive results with this.

I would have guessed a simple checkbox would have been part of core. From what I understand, the checkbox can only be viewed on the client side, making it more effective than trying to make out a bunch of text. Have bots found a way around checkboxes too?
Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:15:04 pm by Xarcell

Reply #10

Also, talking about fighting spam. New user's shouldn't be able to post links. This will dramatic reduce spam over time and can get your site off the marketing lists.

Reply #11

It's more like this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=999

Quote from: Xarcell – Confused with: http://areyouahuman.com/ which I thought you where saying it was useless. People report positive results with this.
I personally don't like it at all.
Annoying because it requires javascript.
The accessible version is a joke...I can't even find what I'm supposed to do when I finished to type.
It is English only, that means I can't use it (I personally can, but almost nobody at my forum would be able to).

If for some works... well, good for them. :P

Quote from: Xarcell – I would have guessed a simple checkbox would have been part of core. From what I understand, the checkbox can only be viewed on the client side, making it more effective than trying to make out a bunch of text. Have bots found a way around checkboxes too?
There is one, but this is a demo, a way to show people how to create addons for ElkArte that add a new anti-spam measure, so it has to be as simple as possible to show only what is important to see. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I wrote also that one:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Honey-Captcha
It presents a fully fledged captcha visible only to spammers. lol

Mostly like the hidden checkbox present in Elk, though more appealing to spammers. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Just a thought. Perhaps "I'm Not A Spambot" would be better than "Are You Human?". What if my alien buddies want to post something?

Reply #14

lol

Probably you should take you pill then. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.