Skip to main content
Topic: White Pages... (Read 6130 times) previous topic - next topic

White Pages...

Hello  :),
I have recently discovered ElkArte and absolutely love it! Then I started setting up a forum with it for a small team I founded online and everything was going fine, but then I had two problems. At first it was just when I was setting something up in the Admin CP and I thought the page just wasn't loading properly (Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti-Spam), since whenever I tried accessing it the page would be completely blank and the page "Title" was my-forums-url/index.php?action=admin;area=securitysettings;sa=spam;b32ede6cb8=065891ee0ad63a11060808d061ee8f55. I then continued setting up the rest of the forums, supposing it was a minor bug that I could probably just ignore. But just today, after I had finished setting up about 90% and members of my team could probably begin joining, I began to recieve reports that after you agree to the registration agreement once again the same thing happens, with the page going completely blank and the page "Title" was my-forums-url/index.php?action=register. As soon as I was able to I tried registering a new account on the forums myself, and discovered these reports to be true. I cannot think of any possible reason for this, as I haven't made any changes to the default registration settings yet, unless it is one of the addons from addons.elkarte.net I installed causing this error. You can find the forums to test this out for yourself at forums.boxofdevs.com.
I hope a resolution can be found soon!

Re: White Pages...

Reply #1

Hi and welcome. :)

Would you mind posting a list of the addon you installed?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

The error is a 500 Internal Server Error, wild guess I'd check the file permissions.
You may start from the admin panel in admin > main > package manager > file permissions, it should be all green.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote from: emanuele – Hi and welcome. :)

Would you mind posting a list of the addon you installed?
Thanks for the welcome :)! You can see the list in the attached image.
Quote from: emanuele – The error is a 500 Internal Server Error, wild guess I'd check the file permissions.
You may start from the admin panel in admin > main > package manager > file permissions, it should be all green.
Hmm, all looks green.... Also attached a screenshot of the file permissions page.

Reply #4

The screen of the permissions is not complete, it shows only the directories, you should check the files inside them (clicking should expand).
Well, if you have ftp access, you could just apply 644 recursively to all files, that would be faster.

Anyway, I see your website requires javascript at first access and does kind of redirect to a "?ckattempt=1" page.
Is there anything particular about your host worth knowing?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – The screen of the permissions is not complete, it shows only the directories, you should check the files inside them (clicking should expand).
Well, if you have ftp access, you could just apply 644 recursively to all files, that would be faster.

Anyway, I see your website requires javascript at first access and does kind of redirect to a "?ckattempt=1" page.
Is there anything particular about your host worth knowing?
Checked like you said and all files looked writable, but I used the FTP access option to set all files accessable anyway, although some files are chmod 666 (is that a problem...?). As to the JavaScript and "?ckattempt=1" page redirect, I'm not sure why, but it may be because I used a bit of JavaScript on the footer of most of the pages @ boxofdevs.com, although I could probably get rid of that. Using a free ByetHost account for it, although if necessary I could also probably switch and start using my old x10hosting account.

Reply #6

Firstly, nice theme design. It is like XF.

Secondly, I browse your forum just fine except when I press except in register page. White page. I guess it is a server side issue?

Reply #7

Quote from: TheDragonRing – As to the JavaScript and "?ckattempt=1" page redirect, I'm not sure why, but it may be because I used a bit of JavaScript on the footer of most of the pages @ boxofdevs.com, although I could probably get rid of that. Using a free ByetHost account for it, although if necessary I could also probably switch and start using my old x10hosting account.
Another wild guess, it looks like something done by the hosting, not by something in the footer/header, at the first access (without cookies set) you are presented with an empty page with just the redirect, so nothing coming from Elk (I noticed because I have js off unless necessary and in your case I had to turn it on just to see the home of the forum).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Free hosting is something I would avoid on serious projects. Too many headaches involved.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: TheDragonRing – As to the JavaScript and "?ckattempt=1" page redirect, I'm not sure why, but it may be because I used a bit of JavaScript on the footer of most of the pages @ boxofdevs.com, although I could probably get rid of that. Using a free ByetHost account for it, although if necessary I could also probably switch and start using my old x10hosting account.
Another wild guess, it looks like something done by the hosting, not by something in the footer/header, at the first access (without cookies set) you are presented with an empty page with just the redirect, so nothing coming from Elk (I noticed because I have js off unless necessary and in your case I had to turn it on just to see the home of the forum).
Quote from: meetdilip – Free hosting is something I would avoid on serious projects. Too many headaches involved.
I have to agree with that. I just can't find any good, but still cheap, paid hosts. So far (in my opinion, feature wise) the best I've found is mediahost.gr

Reply #10

NameCheap goes as low as  $ 10 per year plans. See if you like it.

Reply #11

Quote from: meetdilip – NameCheap goes as low as  $ 10 per year plans. See if you like it.
Had a look and it's actually $13 where I am. Anyway, the renewal price is ridiculous - above $50!

Reply #12

Quote from: TheDragonRing –
Quote from: meetdilip – NameCheap goes as low as  $ 10 per year plans. See if you like it.
Had a look and it's actually $13 where I am. Anyway, the renewal price is ridiculous - above $50!

I host everything with DigitalOcean. $5pm gets you a basic "droplet", which is plenty to get started. I'd definitely recommend them if you're having trouble finding decent hosting. Of course, it's a bare machine, so you'll need to setup a web stack (Nginx, PHP, MariaDB, etc...), but they do provide a "one-click" setup for a LEMP or LAMP stack.

Reply #13

It's a VPS ?

Reply #14

Yes.