Skip to main content
Topic: Remove all alerts ? (Read 3459 times) previous topic - next topic

Remove all alerts ?

I don't find any Funktion to remove all the alerts in my profile.
Is this not exists ?

Fel
Many are stubborn in relation to the path, a few in relation to the target.
Visit our new Forum Project on https://www.portamx.com

Re: Remove all alerts ?

Reply #2

In this page I can setup my alerts ..
but no remove button found for all the exist alerts   :(

Reply #3

you can mark as read your notification, is this what you are looking for?
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=mentions
select all notifications, then "Mark these mentions as read"
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Marking them read does not remove them.  They can only be deleted individually rather than as a batch. Is that what you're asking Feline?

It would be nice if they could be batch removed, it would also be nice if admins could remove them all as well.  Otherwise useless alerts accrue for years, creating a rather large database.   ;)

Reply #5

If they are marked as read it is removed from the "main" page and pushed to the "read" and you have to go and for it. Isn't it?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – If they are marked as read it is removed from the "main" page and pushed to the "read" and you have to go and for it. Isn't it?

Correct.  At that point they can be deleted, but only one at a time.  And admins cannot delete those of other members.   ;)

Reply #7

exacly .. that's stronge to delete many, many alerts one by one  :(

I Have three options on our Forum Version:
1) click to delete on a entry
2) delete all "marked" in the current page (mark all on a page with one click)
3) delete ALL alerts

remove_alerts.png

Works great and I love this  ;D

Fel

Reply #8

Quote from: badmonkey – Correct.  At that point they can be deleted, but only one at a time.  And admins cannot delete those of other members.   ;)
Out of curiosity (just probably because I don't care about deleting things, so I'm just happy that they disappear), what is the advantage of deleting them against disappear from the view?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: badmonkey – Correct.  At that point they can be deleted, but only one at a time.  And admins cannot delete those of other members.  ;)
Out of curiosity (just probably because I don't care about deleting things, so I'm just happy that they disappear), what is the advantage of deleting them against disappear from the view?

Minimizing database size, as a forum gets huge. ;)

Reply #10

Quote from: badmonkey – Minimizing database size, as a forum gets huge. ;)
Right .. we have ~ 5000 user .. und if they save all his alerts in the database over years ... wow ..

Wy not remove alerts they i never more need?
I have notes of likes, of replies what ever .. If I read all this, I dont never more need these alerts .. so I can delete these.

Fel

Reply #11

Quote from: badmonkey –
Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: badmonkey – Correct.  At that point they can be deleted, but only one at a time.  And admins cannot delete those of other members.  ;)

Minimizing database size, as a forum gets huge. ;)

hmm... Db-side their size is negligible: 7 integers and a short string, for a total of 40 bytes each.
Here on Elk we have ~8k that means ~320kb over about 33MB of the database. 1% at worst.
If you try to save space here, you are just wasting time. ;)

ETA: the one above is true for postgre, but is an overestimation for mysql/mariadb since the integers are 2 tiny and 2 medium, so the size there should be 30 bytes instead of 40, leading to 240kb instead of 320.
Then there is to add the sizes of the indexes, so 320 is still a good approximation.
Of course, this table size will not increase linearly, but probably polinomially as a function of messages and active users, so on bigger forums may represent a slightly higher percentage (but on the other hand is not the only one that will grow with that function), but still not in the realm of something bigger than other tables (that cannot be pruned).
Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:31:41 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

SMF / Elkarte are both famous for low database usage, try XF instead  :o 
On my Elkarte 1.0.10 forum I have about 170.000 messags, 3700 users, > 10.000 attachments and the size of db is 195 MB, and 153 MB are only from the elkarte_messages table, elkarte_log_mentions is 3,2 MB,    elkarte_message_likes is 2,5 MB.
Different story on XF, 100.000 messages, 6200 users, 7800 attachments and total db size is 560 MB, only 52 MB are from the table of the messages,    user_alert is 5,4 Mb, liked_content is 4,2 MB
Similar addons on both forums, but XF saves everyhing into db, including templates, translations ...

To be honest db size is one of my last concern, both forums can run together on 5€/month VPS.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #13

I have a database that's over 1G, and that's running compressed tables. So there's that. When you have a database that size every gram counts.

In addition to the backend, the ability to batch delete represents a user friendliness feature. Now that my own account has built to 100 or so pages of these things, the thought of deleting them isn't enticing. Maybe I'm just lazy. But it's a self fulfilling prophecy. They stack up. And they stack up more because no one wants to clean that closet.

Reply #14

Are you running 1.1 or 1.0?
Out of curiosity, how many rows has the table? (log_mentions that is)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.