Skip to main content
Topic: Need an inscription on the attachment button (Read 4247 times) previous topic - next topic

Need an inscription on the attachment button

It seems to me that the Post reply form needs an explanatory label on the attachment button. There's nothing there at all right now. How do users understand to click on it? Many users may not understand what this means.

screen.jpg
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:29:20 pm by forumovod

Re: Need an inscription on the attachment button

Reply #1

Why doesn't anyone want to support this? Is my question incorrectly translated into English? :)

Reply #2

Could try putting it under bug reports. ;)

It may be a concern for a11y. Although you can argue sighted users should have enough sense to click the a big green button if they want to know what it does, the way it is marked up probably means that anyone on a screen reader will have no chance of figuring out that it's even there.

My guess is that at the least it would need some sort of ARIA role, so yeah I'd call this a legit bug report.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #3

Quote from: Antechinus – Could try putting it under bug reports. ;)

This is probably not a mistake. This is a forum engine developer who doesn't see the button the way forum users see it.
For example, on other forums, this button indicates a link to social networks.

Reply #4

You do realise that forums are not the same as social networks, right, and that your assumed way of how people use forums is not how everyone uses forums...?

Reply #5

.Should improve the a11y so its more obvious the feature exists.   What I've mostly found is that although the inline attachment stuff is a nice to have, most folks really do not use it and instead prefer the simplicity of attach and post.

Reply #6

on my forum the inline attachments are used even if there is no need to be used (I mean at the end of the post)  :D
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

This is one of those things where everyone's general take on it is right - and it's up for the platform to decide how it wants to handle it.

But pointing at Facebook and saying 'like them' isn't great, because it presumes that forum goers are like social media consumers: media very much front and centre. For some types of communities, sure - but note that Facebook does it because you spend longer looking at pictures, and it's conditioning you to look at ads more that way.

Reply #8

Even my 87 y/o mother in a Senior Living center down in Arizona has started to use in-line graphics in her Thunderbird emails lately..  (not advocating anything, just observing with amusement..)
Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:28:38 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #9

Media has certainly become easier to use - and with it being easier to use, people will tend to use it.

I'm just not convinced that encouraging it to that extent is necessarily or inherently 'for the greater good' and I certainly baulk at the notion of it being the premier format.

For every forum that would use images as a foremost communication method (and I can't help that we're slowly by degrees reverting to Egyptian hieroglyphs!), there will at a forum that excels at the longform post, where a post is not a quick throwaway reaction but a long thoughtful discussion, perhaps necessitating an in-depth rebuttal of points made.

If you want social media, use social media. The quick throwaway comment, move onto the next thing culture excels there. So does people sharing their best selves' life experiences in a collective sense of thankfulness that they're able to do so. But the moment is fleeting and is gone; forums endure.

Reply #10

>Media has certainly become easier to use - and with it being easier to use, people will tend to use it.

One of my basic cultural laments about WindowsTM...

Reply #11

Hey, I'm all for tech being made available to people - you never know what people will come up with in terms of creative uses you never expected.

But I do have certain expectations that people should either inform themselves as to what it means, or not get upset if it blows up on them unreasonably.

Unfortunately people gonna people :P

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – .Should improve the a11y so its more obvious the feature exists.   What I've mostly found is that although the inline attachment stuff is a nice to have, most folks really do not use it and instead prefer the simplicity of attach and post.
I think the vast majority of people use whatever they have in front of their eyes.
If something is slightly hidden than is not worth the hassle (and I'm like this too xD).

ILA does have a reason in certain cases, may not be necessary in most, some people may always love it.

@forumovod I went for the icon because the area is already pretty cramped and "insert inline attachments" to me seems a bit too much for the space. I went for this specific icon at the time because I was pretty new to mobile devices and discovered in that world it means "share", so... well I thought it would have been kind of understandable. I didn't put tooltips, that could have been a thing, yes. Though even a tooltip appears only if the user hovers the mouse, but if you think the user doesn't think about clicking on it, he may not even think about hovering it for long enough for the tooltip to appear?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

First a smartarse response

Quote from: Arantor – Hey, I'm all for tech being made available to people - you never know what people will come up with in terms of creative uses you never expected.

And so we have TWITter..   ;) 

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Spuds – .Should improve the a11y so its more obvious the feature exists.   What I've mostly found is that although the inline attachment stuff is a nice to have, most folks really do not use it and instead prefer the simplicity of attach and post.
I think the vast majority of people use whatever they have in front of their eyes.
If something is slightly hidden than is not worth the hassle (and I'm like this too xD).

ILA does have a reason in certain cases, may not be necessary in most, some people may always love it.

@forumovod I went for the icon because the area is already pretty cramped and "insert inline attachments" to me seems a bit too much for the space. I went for this specific icon at the time because I was pretty new to mobile devices and discovered in that world it means "share", so... well I thought it would have been kind of understandable. I didn't put tooltips, that could have been a thing, yes. Though even a tooltip appears only if the user hovers the mouse, but if you think the user doesn't think about clicking on it, he may not even think about hovering it for long enough for the tooltip to appear?

I never noticed it either, much less would have known what it was, until it was mentioned here. Nifty.

Maybe this  inline.png   (at 25 px wide as shown) can be used in the next iteration..

Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:30:49 am by Steeley

Reply #14

Problem with that is its language specific ... we would need to create the button text based off the users language, not impossible but ....