Skip to main content
Topic: Other kind of mentions/notifications/alerts (Read 2292 times) previous topic - next topic

Other kind of mentions/notifications/alerts

At the moment the list is:
mentions (the @ thing)
added to buddy

I think there may be MOARRR!

Suggestions are welcome! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Other kind of mentions/notifications/alerts

Reply #1

New PM's would be in that list as well (we are talking about some form of consolation of the various things yes?)

Reply #2

5. Someone quote your post.

6. Someone replied to a thread in which you posted (user selectable)

This option comes handy when someone replies to a topic without @ Mention or quoting someone's post. Helps to bring them back to the topic.

7.  A new thread in a board user follows (user selectable).

8. One of the sites I visit have a nice feature that if you have an alert, it shows the no. of alerts on the browser tab. In case of people who jump around the sites, it is a good idea to bring them back to our forum.

Reply #3

So, basically, merge all the "notify" (topic, board, etc.) is probably one thing to do (and that probably means have again "notifications" instead of "mentions" if I'm not wrong... LOL).

emanuele goes bed.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Still need to think about all this

We can consolidate more stuff in to that "button" so much in fact that you would then have to create categories under it to find the area you want  :P not sure what we have gained at that point.  

The original problem with notifications was we had a notify button that had nothing to do with that tab, so that was inconsistent and we are still struggling with that to some extend.  Most of those notify functions are (notify on board, topic) are email and not "internal" ... so if we make those internal (also), then folks will want to be notified by email if some is liked as well.

Just saying we need to map something out.

Reply #5

Yep, there is to find a balance...
There is also time to think about it. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Any chance that we can automatically generate an @ mention tag when these actions occur ? At least as a beginning before we go full scale.

Don't mistake me, most popular scripts offer alerts on quotes, likes etc. Since it will take around 6 months minimum for the launch, we may be a bit behind without those features.