Reply #15

LOL

Good idea! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: ILA drafts and attachments

Reply #16

After three months and quite some work on it, I have to say I'm very lost. Furthermore the new BBC parser changed the situation even more.

I'm not sure I can fix ILA and the drafts any time soon. I've reached the point I start thinking that propose to drop ILA from 1.1 and have the release is better than try to fix it "somehow" with potentially lost of bugs. Then, once 1.1 is out, ILA and attachments can be re-worked and made it work properly.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Agreed.

Reply #18

I know you are working on this from long time, attachments in drafts is a nice feature, but I can live without them well ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #19

I'm kind of so so on that idea TBH ... I can see not having the save draft attachments as part of B1, but to not have ILA as part of B1 seems more like an Alpha1 .. kind of a major feature to not be in the first beta.  

Reply #20

The meaning of my post was more "not have ILA in 1.1", actually.
But I guess that's a bit too much?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Well if we don't think its doable I guess we punt ... and if we can't get it to work in the core, there is no chance the addon way will work either which is a bit of a problem as well.  Anyway sounds like I'm the only no vote anyway :P

Reply #22

Quote from: emanuele – The meaning of my post was more "not have ILA in 1.1", actually.
But I guess that's a bit too much?
Imo yes, but it's not me to decide :)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #23

Tough decision.

I don't think we should be allowed to remove hooks in minor versions but we can certainly add new ones and add passed parameters to the hooks. So, if you can continue working on it in a plugin that would be great and it would allow the development of 1.1 to continue. Then, when we start working on 1.2 or whatever is next, the first thing that goes in to it would be ILA (assuming that it's been created as a plugin).

I really think this is the best way to go with features in general. It allows features to constantly be created but not get in the way of refactoring or bug fixing. I proposed it once or twice at SMF but I realized it takes a lot more work and slows the development of features so I didn't really push it. It's why I ask people whenever I see them making code edits where we can add in a hook. They are easy to add and don't break anything if you add more.

Reply #24

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – I don't think we should be allowed to remove hooks in minor versions
All the bbc hooks changed somehow. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

I can see 2.1 having more hooks compared to ElkArte sometimes ago.

Reply #26

Quote from: Spuds – Well if we don't think its doable I guess we punt ... and if we can't get it to work in the core, there is no chance the addon way will work either which is a bit of a problem as well.
I'm not saying it is not possible to make it work. ;)
What I'm saying is that to have ILA working there is to:
1) change ILA so that it accepts the attach_id instead of the upload order of the message,
2) either change the posting of attachments so that when D&D'ed the return is the attach_id (and that would mean support ILA only with javascript enabled at posting time) or make it so an unique placeholder is used and then replaced at POSTing time with the proper attach BBC,
3) check whether is is (still) possible to hide attachments when using the ILA BBC.

1 should be kind of easy (just a new BBCode not to interfere with the previous behaviour, otherwise it would require some upgrade processing as well, and that would require quite a bit of testing I think).
2 is tricky to me. Both the solutions have some implication I'm not fully sure about. Okay, we can just pick one and go for it. :P
3 is something to check, not really that important for beta 1.

I'm worried about point 2 TBH.
I'm quite busy until the new year, so I'm not sure I can put together the necessary code before January.
Also it would require at least some testing (and uploading here for live would be quite necessary), so... another month at least before the release (unless other issues arise).
Dunno.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #27

I've only been looking at it for a short while and I'm not seeing an "easy" addon solution ATM but have not looked in depth.  Even the current 1.0 version does not have an interface, so its only 1/2 baked really.

I'm less concerned about the JS only solution, without JS you don't even have an editor, D&D, auto saving, etc

changing to the attach_id vs post attach_count should be easy enough, and as a bonus it simplifies things since the current code worked on the post attachment as a fifo rotation queue.  All of that can be dropped (you could keep it but why?) and just make the user provide the specificity of this attachment here.

Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:30:26 pm by Spuds

Reply #28

Yeah, screw people that don't keep Javascript enabled. If it means screwing everyone else because <1% of the users don't want to enabled JS, screw that minority.

Reply #29

I like it, although I don't have js enabled myself on my Opera Mini, on phone :P
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~