Skip to main content
Topic: Javascript & features (Read 16989 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Javascript & features

Reply #45

No, the mentions area is just fine. :) Its a great overview of it.

And true, I have now 2 likes and 2 unlikes. Its up to you guys of course, but for me getting a like is great, but if its removed I don't want to think twice about that, not wondering why etc. I would be tempted to simply show just the users that have liked, and remove any unlikes, or past likes. What you see is what you get, so to speak. I think Facebook works fine there, you only see whos liked, and if you remove it, it goes away, no hard feelings. AFAIK anyway, maybe its changed lol.

Reply #46

I think we should make it configurable via admin interface: "Add a mention when a post is unliked by a member"..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #47

Quote from: TE – I think we should make it configurable via admin interface: "Add a mention when a post is unliked by a member"..

Was thinking the same thing, right after I fixed it :D ...

Reply #48

Quote from: Xarcell – Personally, I don't see the reason to have a "mentions" area. There should be an "alerts" area, that show you all likes, dislikes, and messages. One area for everything. This would be great because maybe some plugins can utilize this area as well. Of course, in the alerts area one should be able to filter types of alerts.
Actually the "mentioning" area is designed exactly like that: it can show anything you want (provided it is logged into the appropriate table and you instruct the class to know about the new "mentioning".
Yeah, maybe "alerts" would be a better name, though rename it again... dunno... O:-)
We can even do the lazy thing and just change the name of the button.
 emanuele hides

Quote from: Xarcell – It would even be nice to get announcements this way, but probably be too hard on resources to send everyone an alert, but wouldn't be so bad if you just targeted certain membergroups.
mmm...dunno, though...I may have an idea for announcements...

emanuele foresee an addon coming
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #49

QuoteYeah, maybe "alerts" would be a better name, though rename it again... dunno... O:-)
Well I'm not going to change it (again) :P  And I don't like alert FWIW, sounds like a warning or something ... Hey we could put moderation actions in there :P

Reply #50

Good point... :P
Oh well, there is a number, I'm pretty sure anyone that see a number will click on it. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #51

If the "mentioning" area is actually the alert area, then wouldn't it be better for messages to go there too?

"Mentions" is one of the worse terms that could have been used for this.

Choice Of Terms That Should Have Been Used: Alerts, Prompts, Updates, and Notifications.
Alternative Terms Considered: tips, triggers, hints, and clues.

Reply #52

It started as "notifications", but there are already other notifications, so it was confusing.
Dunno, I'm not that into English and social networks to know what's best to call it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #53

Quote"Mentions" is one of the worse terms that could have been used for this.
Well it was until you posted your list, now its not even in the top 5 :P :D

QuoteIt started as "notifications", but there are already other notifications, so it was confusing.
Exactly this, especially in the code since notifications is a rather large feature of its own, having similar controllers, templates, subs etc was very confusing and that's with us actively working on the code, imagine how that would be if you had to go back in 6 months. 

If the issue is someone does not like the button being called Mentions, its easy to change it to something you like and if someone can come up with the "awesome sauce" name even better.  Granted not everything is directly a mention in that list, nor are they notifications, nor are they alerts .... The notify functions don't show up in that list at all.  I suppose at some point those areas could be unified, but not sure what you gain there either, soon you would just a another dropdown menu with personal messages, notifications, likes, mentions, buddies, etc etc   :-\

Reply #54

Droppies FTW! :D

giggles
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.