[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47891 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #105

Random question: why do we need the current date/time anyway?

Reply #106

At the moment it's really just a placeholder. I'd always assumed that people would put icons for their YouTube, Twitter, etc up there.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #107

No strong feeling.
At a certain point I thought that the menu bar was mostly useless, though now seems a bit better and more useful.

The admin/moderate could stay combined I think.
The only thing I would change in the account part, inverting profile-related and personal messaging (i.e. have account settings, forum profile and look and layout as "primary" dropdown and then "personal messages" with the second level droppy) because "my account" reminds me of the "settings" in general and not about the "personal messages" (that are part of the account, but not the primary part of the account). More semantic than usefulness.

Also I'm not sure the account should go somewhere else, otherwise the menu comes back to be a bit useless...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #108

But that doesn't fit with the way people actually use it. Profile stuff is 90% set and forget (apart from looking up your posts, or changing your avatar occasionally). PM's is what people use day to day. That makes PM's primary functionality, IMHO.

OTOH, we do have PM notifications and access via Display.template now so bleh n wtf n stuff.

ETA: And I think there was general agreement that we were going back to seperate Admin and Mod buttons, which I'm fine with (it does make some things easier).

Reply #109

By that logic all the other systems (including that pesky little website Facebook) are all doing it wrong?

Reply #110

That wouldn't surprise me at all, given the amount people complain about FB's interface. :D

Ok, how about this? Top level is username and avatar, linked to profile summary page as usual. This is obviously effin' useless, because 99% of people don't care what's on their profile summary page 99% of the time, but it's conventional so it must be good.

First linky in droppy is the same, for ease of use with click menus. Second link in droppy links to PM's (inbox page). Third link in droppy is log out. No other links in droppy. Let's keep it simple.

Also, if there are unread PM's have the little green thingy with the number in it on the top level (preferably directly linked to inbox with no shenanigans required).

Reply #111

Quote from: Antechinus – But that doesn't fit with the way people actually use it. Profile stuff is 90% set and forget (apart from looking up your posts, or changing your avatar occasionally). PM's is what people use day to day. That makes PM's primary functionality, IMHO.
I didn't say that PM are not the primary functionality, I agree with that (i.e. the actual usefulness), but what I wanted to say is that to me, when I read "My Account" the emphasis, in my mind, is on the "setting" and not on the messaging (so, more about "semantic").

Of course it may be just me, as I said I don't have strong feelings. ;)

ETA: and of course there is my very routine-bound brain that needs some time to pick up with changes... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #112

K. Well I'll have a go at whipping something up, then we can kick it around a bit.

Reply #113

Sounds good to me :) I may be a stubborn git but I'm curious to see what you come up with because it's quite likely you'll improve on what I think (because I'm no designer :P)

Reply #114

Quote from: Arantor – Random question: why do we need the current date/time anyway?
Links all relative dates in a cached page to the actual date they're relative to.

Ie if dates aren't auto updated, it's crucial.

Reply #115

That might hold up if SMF hadn't also been doing it for the previous decade.

Reply #116

Back in 2003 it was commonplace to show that a site was not 'static' by printing the date. Some would even show the date via js to make it look like it wasn't a pure HTML page... ^^

Reply #117

And then later on several blogs stopped having a date at all...

emanuele hates that because then you can't know when the message was posted: if a month ago or 10 years... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #118

Well presumably, as long as their server is running, any dates would be relative to the current (which you should know anyway since your pooter has a clock built in).

If we grab the current date/time area for user stuffz that could still leave the date/time for lurkers, if anyone thinks it is important to have that.

Reply #119

Quote from: Antechinus – Well presumably, as long as their server is running, any dates would be relative to the current (which you should know anyway since your pooter has a clock built in).

If we grab the current date/time area for user stuffz that could still leave the date/time for lurkers, if anyone thinks it is important to have that.
I meant that if you're visiting a previously loads tab you haven't visited in hours, the date can help. Unless of course the timestamps are refreshed regularly but that sucks performance wise.

Ema, blogs that don't show the date usually still have a hint about it. Eg in the URL, or in the HTML source. (Sigh. Been there, pestered at that.)