[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47896 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #120

Fair nuff. I'm easy about whether we have the timestamp or not. Doesn't bother me either way. I'm happy just with relative because it's very rarely that I need to know the exact time something was posted.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #121

Quote from: Nao – Ema, blogs that don't show the date usually still have a hint about it. Eg in the URL, or in the HTML source. (Sigh. Been there, pestered at that.)
Those that I usually find, no, not a single one... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #122

You need to try harder... hacker or not? :P

Reply #123

Why are the profile links grandchildren? Me no like.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #124

Quote from: live627 – Why are the profile links grandchildren? Me no like.

Indeed, for a menu link that says My Account, the top level links have nothing to do with things that I associate with my account. I get the idea to combine Messages and Profile stuff, but My Account makes me think first of my forum account, not my PMs.

Reply #125

Not a problem. We can just rename it "My Shiz" to cover all bases.

Reply #126

Quote from: Antechinus – Not a problem. We can just rename it "My Shiz" to cover all bases.

As long as one of those buttons is Harass Antechinus, then that's totally fine.

Reply #127

I think Ant mentioned something similar somewhere, but I can't find it, so I'm adding some off topic here. :P

Admin/profile/moderation menus: would be difficult (or terribly... inappropriate) to have all the possible options of the currently selected menu always visible in an horizontal bar?
Something like the attachment.
I'm not sure it's the best option, because we'd have...4 level of menus visible at the same time, though it may be nice...dunno.

Just an idea.
And if you have some of your magic css to throw at me to understand how my own proposal would work in real life, feel free to drop it here. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #128

Yup, so basically you want a sort of push down dropline clicky to open sort of menu thingy. Of sorts. Sort of. Or its brother or his best friend's cousin twice removed or Aunt Martha's Special Sauce. Something like that.

If people really want it, it can be done. Does enough people really want it? Reason I ask is because it already works, which is kinda good y'know.

Current thought: leave it for custom themers. Gotta leave them something to feel clever about.

Reply #129

Cool stuff ema. I like that quite a bit. I'm ok with whatever though. Can always customize theme stuff pretty easily.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #130

Well, the idea was just to have the choices of the current section always visible, nothing too fancy, nothing too important, just an idea.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #131

Did we want to do this? https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/commit/57cde67614de4811d053a8e17db59a7025760a41 I think it was proposed on wedge at some point, may be there as well as there has been some recent cross pollination.  Looks nice, but I'm not sure how often admins navigate from the main admin page, so the above menu stuff from Ema may be a better quick access method.

Reply #132

TBH I really (and I mean really) cannot see anything wrong with the current sidebar menu or drop menu system for quick access. Particularly the sidebar, since it effectively does exactly what Ema is proposing anyway. Do we really need to complicate things further?

Reply #133

Actually Pete implemented that in Wedge years ago and I never liked it. Or used it. I left it in because my POV was that we each knew what we were doing. Anyway, I'm thinking of removing it in the future.
The only thing he did in the homepage that I looked was the tutorial, ie links to important areas for initial setup. I even added a few links to it and improved it a bit. That one is a keeper.

Anyone wants to see the Wedge codebase, or some kind of Admin demo, I'm open to that.

Reply #134

Quote from: Spuds – Looks nice, but I'm not sure how often admins navigate from the main admin page
Yeah, it's nice to see, but I hate those pages full of icons and since it's on the main page it's kind of not so useful because to see it, it's necessary to go back to the main admin page similarly to cPanel... and I hate that. :P

Quote from: Antechinus – TBH I really (and I mean really) cannot see anything wrong with the current sidebar menu or drop menu system for quick access. Particularly the sidebar, since it effectively does exactly what Ema is proposing anyway. Do we really need to complicate things further?
Yep, no problems, but at some point it may be interesting to simplify even further and remove one of the two options (sidebar/dropdown) could be the way, and I was wondering how this could work in replacement of the two current menus, nothing more. ;)
I wouldn't change it now myself, I'm not convinced about it 100%, I was interested in seeying it "live" to have a better understanding, but I'm not able to find a way to obtain it so I asked...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.