Skip to main content
Topic: Sphinx Search indexes hidden forums (Read 1873 times) previous topic - next topic

Sphinx Search indexes hidden forums

I am having a sudden problem with search indexing. It would appear that the search indexer is finding results in all of the forums, even forums that the requesting user has no access to, or cannot see in the first place. For instance, it is finding deleted spam which is taking up space in our hidden trash forum.

E: Maybe I was mistaken. I ran the search again from a fresh private browsing window, and found no such results in the search output.

Re: Sphinx Search indexes hidden forums

Reply #1

Maybe it was inside of the cron job delta index run time, which is 10 or 15 mins (depends on what you put in your crontab)

Either way it should index what it can find and cull out the display results based on the user (meaning there is only one search "index", not one per user).

Reply #2

I proposed a theoretical to the moderator in question, in case they come back and can replicate the results.

• Spam gets posted to the public forum.
  • Sphinx indexes it, and logs that the post was in a guest visible part of the forum.
  • Moderator deletes it to the trash.
  • Moderator searches both as self and as guest, finds it.

I'm guessing 4 could happen, if the visibility in the culled results is against the forum/board ID that is returned by Sphinx, rather than the real Forum/Board ID that the forum database claims owns the topic. I still have to hear back from them to find out if this explanation even makes any sense.

Reply #3

Indeed ... since the Sphinx index is always lagging (you can reduce this with a shorter time on the delta index) it can return "old" results. 

I've played around a bit with a more real time index update,  as occurs with the custom index, but never finished the ideas.  Sphinx capabilities from minor release to minor release can vary quite a lot and that makes things ....... interesting.  There is also the overhead of doing this, then again Sphinx is fast.

Reply #4

So this doesn't look like a real bug, more an annoyance right?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.