Skip to main content
Topic: Position of goto top/bottom buttons (Read 6955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Position of goto top/bottom buttons

Reply #15

mmm... yeah, also the wrapper goes almost 100% rather "quickly", and at that point the go top/bottom should be positioned again on the side of the body... meh.

The two buttons are more for desktop users or mobile users?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

Well, both AFAIK. I do know that when I was making a responsive interface for CEMB I was specifically asked to include the up/down buttons on mobile too. Although mobiles have kinetic scrolling, pages can get very long. Having a one-click button can save a lot of swiping.

This is obviously a stupid bug in desktop Mac, much like the stupid iOS bugs with fixed and absolute positioning. Is there any way of sniffing Mac easily?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #17

Good to know.
At a certain point, the buttons were made display:none for low-res. Now I'm playing moving them to a corner (bottom right at the moment).
ETA: pushed here: https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/commit/f8a0ed702b75684cf7353a363c8da5d5dcb85eaf

Regarding OSX, no as far as I know there isn't any easy way to detect it.

About wrapper: it is even more difficult if we consider there is still the option to change the width from the admin panel, so it's almost impossible.
It seems the "flip-on-the-left" is the only viable solution... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Well yeah, putting them at the left could be fine too. Left or right is much the same for desktop use. I wouldn't put them in the corner for desktop, since that can be a nuisance with toolbar interference if you overshoot a bit.

What about user agent strings for sniffing Mac? Shouldn't that be possible?

ETA: If putting them at the left, you'd probably want to flip that for RTL.

Reply #19

Some stuff here. Haven't looked into the code. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10527983/best-way-to-detect-mac-os-x-or-windows-computers-with-javascript-or-jquery

Reply #20

Quote from: Antechinus – I wouldn't put them in the corner for desktop, since that can be a nuisance with toolbar interference if you overshoot a bit.
Sorry, I meant at low-res, so that they are not in the middle of the page (I saw that at CEMB you did something similar putting one at the top and one at the bottom, since at the top we already have a couple of quite different styles I just thought of sticking them side by side at the bottom).

Quote from: Antechinus – What about user agent strings for sniffing Mac? Shouldn't that be possible?
Though, even if we detect OSX, then we'd have to... move it on the left for macs only? It would look a bit odd...
Or otherwise add a margin? But then when the bar is not present (because think it appears only when moving towards the border or scrolling) the button would remain in the middle of the screen...

Quote from: Antechinus – ETA: If putting them at the left, you'd probably want to flip that for RTL.
Yep.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Ok, so short version is that the easy option is to put them over at the left. Seems the most sensible.

I probably put them at the right because that's the arrangement at CEMB, which runs a portal sidebar at the left. When there's a left sidebar, having the buttons at the right is generally more convenient (or more flexible when it comes to layout). Not applicable to default Elk.

Reply #22

There is a javascript sniff for mac, its in the var is_osx .. you can use that to change the css for the element, if they don't have JS enabled, well the stupid arrows will not work anyway :P

Reply #23

Ok, so that's another option: just use the Mac sniffer to make the buttons wider on Mac.*

And the buttons work just fine with js disabled. They just don't do a smooth scroll. :P

*Although TBH just moving them to the left probably still makes the most sense.

Reply #24

Where the is_osx was used, a comment was added to the css to make note of additional positioning being done via JS just so someone would not loose their mind.  I think its ok for small tweaks like this where if JS is not on for some reason the layout effect is minimal.

I looked at the site on a OSx Mountain Lion 2 and it was fine, so this issue seems to be with Mavericks or whatever version of Safari it uses.  (Don't know if the issue was also seen in Chrome w/Mavericks).  I don't have access to a Mavericks install ATM

Reply #25

From the GitStuffz issue page:

QuoteAhh forgot to told the browsers

OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Chrome 32
    Firefox 26
    Safari 7.0.1 (ohh, BTW tab indexing is not working fine for this browser in posting and registration)
It seems to be an issue with any browser when running Mavericks. Maybe they named it that because they went troppo and included maverick handling of age-old CSS properties just to annoy everyone. Made themselves feel all edgey and rebellious by borking people's front end code. Awesome stuff. :P

Reply #26

Quote from: emanuele – I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have all the css into /css/ and not into /css/_variant/... @TE?
mixed feelings.. For 2.0 I'd personally go with a variant folder with all files in it (images +css + XML, smiliar to theme_info.xml)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #28

Nice! I like this much better on the left side. My cursor spends more time on the left of the screen anyway, especially when in the Admin section.