Skip to main content
Topic: install package with individual options (Read 2929 times) previous topic - next topic

install package with individual options

Some of the options in the admin center must be altered to provide security and comfort. For example what I am always alter is that you get back to the topic if you post instead of back to the board index. Also date and time are a good example. Maybe language packs can be included?

What do you think about the possibility to choose a few of these settings as part of the installation, choose the best option for them, and then install ElkArte? The installation should then alter the database entries and make these changes - instead of you, as a second step after the installation.

Re: install package with individual options

Reply #1

Interesting idea.
I thought the "back to topic" was already default... well, we can change it for 1.0.1, I guess it's the expected behaviour nowadays, then so be it (tracked).

I was thinking to propose to include the different languages as part of the install package, though it would increase the size quite a bit. Each lang pack is about 250 KB (language files + sounds), so 10 languages would mean double the size of the install package. 40 languages like SMF would means about 10 MB only for the languages + the usual 2.5 MB for the "core files".

Yep, 10 MB nowadays is not that much, though it's quite a bit.
...hmm... well, a second download could do the trick: "english-only", "all-languages"?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Can the install script make these changes to the database settings and provide you a possibility to choose the languages to install? So you could mark the neccessary languages as part of the installation process, the script downloads the packages (or brings an error message and installs only the english files which are packed into the already downloaded install package) and installs them right away? Don't know if this is possible.

Reply #3

Quote from: emanuele – I was thinking to propose to include the different languages as part of the install package, though it would increase the size quite a bit. Each lang pack is about 250 KB (language files + sounds), so 10 languages would mean double the size of the install package. 40 languages like SMF would means about 10 MB only for the languages + the usual 2.5 MB for the "core files".
Maybe some script in install.php to download additional language files even before installation?

@Jorin was faster than me ::)

Reply #4

I guess it could, though [1] the install script is already quite a mess, it's one of those things I wouldn't make even more complex adding a whole new set of functions like that... dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

For the time being, as a stop-gap measure, have the completed languages included wouldn't be a lot of troubles (there are just 2+1), even have up to 10 should be acceptable (~5 MB as total download size). Of course, as usual that's a proposal.
I wonder why there is always a "thought" a "but" (a "bug" LOL).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.