Skip to main content
Topic: Watermark - what does it take? (Read 3670 times) previous topic - next topic

Watermark - what does it take?

Without going as elegant as a full on mod, or perhaps so, what code would be required in EA to use a simple png image to watermark attachments? Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Watermark - what does it take?

Reply #1

Do you use imagick or GD for your graphics ?

ETA:  There are also a couple of good nginx modules that will let you add a watermark based off if the image is > a certain pixel size, that would be pretty easy to add and avoid thumbnails, icons and the like.
Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:26:24 pm by Spuds

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – Do you use imagick or GD for your graphics ?

ETA:  There are also a couple of good nginx modules that will let you add a watermark based off if the image is > a certain pixel size, that would be pretty easy to add and avoid thumbnails, icons and the like.

Yes. The server has both installed actually. 

I tried the nginx approach. The trouble stemmed from the file extensions. Nginx didn't like, or I couldn't properly configure it to do so, .elk or just "image".  Serving a normal jpg produced a working watermark, so the module was validated. Would be cool to make it work that way. Do you have ideas or advice to make that work? 

Reply #3

I've not tried it with Elk ... I'll have to give it a whirl on my test site and see what it breaks !

Reply #4

Quote from: badmonkey – Without going as elegant as a full on mod, or perhaps so, what code would be required in EA to use a simple png image to watermark attachments? Thanks for your thoughts!
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5741 .. Its a full addon but I left out the elegant part ;)

Due to the way attachments are handled, I could not come up with a way to have nginx do the work for us, so you instead get this addon! ... Its 1.1 and Imagick only.  So kick the tires and let me know what is not working ... I think the text watermark is pretty cool, but maybe thats just because I got it working on my local.

Reply #5

Just when we think you da man - you go and outdo yourself! Many, many, many thanks! I'll give it and go. Feedback to come!