Skip to main content
Topic: how to "Subscribe to boards and get the full text of the posts on that board"? (Read 1597 times) previous topic - next topic

how to "Subscribe to boards and get the full text of the posts on that board"?

The subject is a citation from https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Posting-by-Email-Feature

I only know of NOTIFY resp. UNNOTIFY of message threads. But the notification mail goes without the posting text. It begins with "A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by ...".
I enabled the maillist functionality.

I also tried NOTIFY on the board level (e.g. "General Discussion"), but that seems not to have any effect. I'm using Elkarte 1.1.8.

Re: how to "Subscribe to boards and get the full text of the posts on that board"?

Reply #1

There is an option for that, go to Admin > Configuration > Features and Settings > General > and enable the second last option: Disable the text of posts into notification (or something similar, I use italian language on my forum)
index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings;sa=basic
sorry for my bad english

Re: how to "Subscribe to boards and get the full text of the posts on that board"?

Reply #2

Also be sure to enable full text of post in YOUR profile ....

My Account -> Modify Profile -> Notifications  ..... Be sure When sending email notifications, send the full text of the post in the email is checked and saved.

Reply #3

@radu81 : the option you meant is in english "Don't allow post text in notifications". This was already not ticked, i.e. text is enabled.

On the peer (recipient side of the message), the recipient (Spuds: "YOUR profile") must enable text in notification. The config item "When sending email notifications, send the full text of the post in the email" is a little bit confusing. I'd suggest:
Upon receiving email notifications, include the full text of the post in the email.

Reply #4

Yesterday I set the "Notifications email address" in the mailllist settings to a noreply@....-address.
Indeed, every notification shows up that address. But in the context of reply-by-email that makes no sense.
If it is THIS notification (including the posting text) is subject to the reply-by-email functionality, this advice (from the wiki) makes no sense...

Reply #5

Many confusing terms ... the descriptions help some.

Anyway Notifications email address can be considered the email for system generated messages, forgot password, register, etc .... messages that you can not reply to.  The site email address is what is used for posts and pm's

Reply #6

Well, I see that the notification email (sent upon your reply) contains a noreply-address as well. Just because of the text "You can reply to this email and have it posted as a reply." I tried the reply-by-email (hence automatically to <noreply@elkarte.net>) - 15 minutes ago...

Reply #7

Quote from: rjm – Well, I see that the notification email (sent upon your reply) contains a noreply-address as well. Just because of the text "You can reply to this email and have it posted as a reply." I tried the reply-by-email (hence automatically to <noreply@elkarte.net>) - 15 minutes ago...

This message arrived to me in email with the header:

To:   <my addy>
   Subject:   Re: [ElkArte Community] how to "Subscribe to boards and get the full text of the posts on that board"?
   Date sent:   Wed, 03 Aug 2022 12:49:48 -0000
   Send reply to:   "ElkArte Community" <elkarteforum@gmail.com>

You should be replying to the "REPLY TO" addy, not the "From" addy..

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #8

Just another mail was sent, now automatically with proper reply-to-address (upon inspection of all header information, a new entry is found: Reply-To: "ElkArte Community" <elkarteforum@gmail.com>

In general, with v2.0 the option "Send the full text of the post in the email" (activated before) seems not to work. In 1.1.8 using my own test forum this operates correctly.

Reply #9

Quote from: rjm – Just another mail was sent, now automatically with proper reply-to-address (upon inspection of all header information, a new entry is found: Reply-To: "ElkArte Community" <elkarteforum@gmail.com>

In general, with v2.0 the option "Send the full text of the post in the email" (activated before) seems not to work. In 1.1.8 using my own test forum this operates correctly.

If you are referring to 2.0 on this board (2.0 dev), it's possible there's another thing awry with email replies., as I just posted:
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=6151.0

I'm awaiting the results of a moderator SAR (search and rescue) on that email reply..

Reply #10

This is an email reply to the same message (the earlier one I followed the link in the message and posted directly to the Forum)

-Steeley

Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? [~ Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here"]

--

Reply #11

Test reply by email... failed.
However, when it would work well, I'd not understand it, because the key misses the numeric part behind the -m:
[7fe04918f3a5beb5018a513adc3e68d8-m]

BTW: in parallel I'm fiddling with my own 1.1.8 Elkarte test forum, and got reply by email doing its job as awaited over some time - with intermediate idle times. For any reason, the key was not generated. Spuds is going to look at what's wrong (what I got functioning only by a workaround).

In this respect I'm underway in a cage, yes. Simply because I consider a quite full maillist functionality as very important as an alternative to a classic mailing list. In the latter, you're faced with reverse history in successive emails sent around as replies. The forum would keep each reply in natural time order, while maintaining the opportunity to reply by email instead of the need to login to a forum...

There are only a few forum solutions out there that allow hybrid operating. I mention github (proprietary) and discourse (complexity of install and handling).

Reply #12

The email reply I sent didn't post originally, rjm, until Spuds fixed a multipart parsing issue on EA's end. Once he resolved that and "resubmitted" it , the message shown as Reply #10 posted. In this case it wasn't a key issue at all.

My own forum was set up in EA to replace a classic distribution list, and does the job nicely - it has a fairly large number of boards so discussions thread "on topic" and my members can just turn off monitoring boards with subjects they aren't interested in. And almost all of the topics can be participated in (starting new discussion topics or participating in existing ones), via email, not just on-line.

However, my forum is running v1.1.6, if there have been any changes in the 1.1.8 update that might affect the message key, I'm not aware of them, the key system looks like it's working in 2.0 also. I'll leave you and spuds to work through whatever is going on. However, he might be onto something with your configuration item "Allow Posting To The Forum By Email" not enabled.  I interpret that as a master "Email Support" On/Off selection.  (PM's are Private Messages, not forum posts)

If you don't want members posting NEW topics via email (and therefore only enabling email for replies), you can do that easily by simply not creating addresses for the board(s) you don't want new topics sent to, and leaving the "Allow the Starting Of A New Topic By Changing the Reply Subject" turned off (as you now have it).

Good luck... I'm going back to lurk..

Reply #13

Quote from: Steeley –
<snip>

If you don't want members posting NEW topics via email (and therefore only enabling email for replies), you can do that easily by simply not creating addresses for the board(s) you don't want new topics sent to, and leaving the "Allow the Starting Of A New Topic By Changing the Reply Subject" turned off (as you now have it).

BTW @rjm ,  I should mention that the "Allow the Starting Of A New Topic By Changing the Reply Subject" turned on might produce a problem in an email-heavy  forum (unless the 'bug' has been fixed) - The problem is the system seems to get hung up  when email clients don't preserve the RE:[original subject] field and just add another "RE:" in front of it in reply

EA doesn't (or didn't) recognize that "RE:[original subject]"  and "RE:RE:[original subject]" are the same topic/thread and would start a new topic "RE:RE:[original subject]". And then another new topic for the "RE:RE:RE:[original subject]" reply, and yet another new topic for the "RE:RE:RE:RE:[original subject]"  ad infinitum. 

So, for sanity, leave that option deselected unless we receive confirmation that EA now looks to see if the original topic exists, that is ->  "[original subject]" or "re:[original subject]" or whatever the original topic is (a message key might be a helpful filter there), and then strips any new prepending "RE:s, before making a new topic out of a reply to an existing topic.

[There we go @spuds, we need a new RFC specific to proper subject handling in EMails, separating the subject from the reply prefix, and then think of all the cool stuff we could do with the new subject prefix field.. RE = Standard Reply, XE = Important Reply., QE = Send More Money, (stock market joke, sorry..) ... Open up a whole new sub-specialty -> "Reply Developer"   ;D  ]

Re: how to \

Reply #14

I know there is code in there to get to the subject root

In addition to RE there is  FW / FWD / SUBJECT tags that get added.  Its supposed to clean all that, but with the way things can get munged via email I can see it both missing or clobbering the line.