Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte 2.0 ? (Read 7974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ElkArte 2.0 ?

Reply #15

https://semver.org/

Micro versions are generally supported for security fixes for at least a few months (that could be a year, for example) after the release of the next minor/major version.
So, you can expect 1.1.x to be supported for a while after 2.0 has been released.
Considering I'd like to have the 1st beta of 2.0 out by the end of the year, that would mean something like at least until 2022 I'd say.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

Quote from: emanuele – Considering I'd like to have the 1st beta of 2.0 out by the end of the year, that would mean something like at least until 2022 I'd say.
Yes, I wanted to know about it. Because I didn't find a topic about the state of development 2.0 here.

Reply #17

That's said but to note 1.0 is out of support quite early I'd say, so the best is to follow major upgrade to 2.0 once its stable version is released. Wait!? Do we have stable version here? :P. Yes, we do. ;)

Reply #18

Stable is an overrated word. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Then you need a staple (and a battery). Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #23

Not really necessary.
SMF needs some moving around of files to create an install/upgrade package, for Elk, the install package is exactly the same as the file you can download from the repository, where it says "download zip":

so, if you want a "nightly", just pick the file and be happy with it.
Anyway, TBH, if someone wants to try a development version and doesn't know how to create it, he is better not using a development version. Really. And I'm not ruling out help, I'm just saying if you want to try development you have to be ready to do some development.

Edit by Spuds to fix img tag []'s, @emanuele does not now how to use the editor :P

Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:57:37 pm by Spuds
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

<insert expletive rant about developers not giving people 'easy builds' for unstable versions, only for people who have no business running development builds slowing developers down with their support needs>

How dare you, you monster, how dare you not enable people so that you can actually work on Elk 2.0 faster? MONSTER.

(In case the sarcasm wasn't noticed, I'm not calling anyone a monster. I am poking fun at the type of entitled people who think everything just should be done for their benefit, and without any understanding of what is involved)