Skip to main content
Topic: Ghost display of old Fader string in Themes (Read 3264 times) previous topic - next topic

Ghost display of old Fader string in Themes

Occurs in Light and BeSocial!

Go to Current Theme and position in the middle of the screen the 'Number of recent posts to display on board index:'

Now click the browser Reload button a number of times and you will see the 'Fading delay between items ...' blurb briefly display.

Happens on the Pale Moon and Fx browser. Did not try IE.

Re: Ghost display of old Fader string in Themes

Reply #1

Thats one of the options that will be hidden by JS based on what items you have selected. 

The intent is to simply some admin pages by hiding options that are not relevant to your choices to avoid confusion.  Of course to do this the page needs to load, JS run, check the option and update the DOM as needed. So I don't know if thats 100% avoidable TBH, Could change the display order to make it less jumpy perhaps.

Reply #2

Well, it looks horrible and awkward.   :)   

I am not so sure if I like the idea of hiding something in order to simplify the Admin section. Tends to make people think 'hmmm .. now where did I see that option?' Leads to a lot of support questions and honestly, while programmers are always looking for that simpler, faster, quicker experience ... the average, mere mortal appreciates having everything where they can readily see it. 

Reply #3

The problem is there are two type of people: those that want everything on the screen, those that with everything on the screen have no idea why something is there while it doesn't do anything (while they simply don't do anything because in order to make that particular option do something you need to enable another one).

Maybe we can meet in between: disable the option, though then, it would require an explanation: "this is enabled only if something else is enabled". meh, more text. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I tweaked the JS a bit so its not jumpy now.  

Hiding / showing options is done all over the place in the UI and generally for good reasons, users get confused with all those options. Of course you can have them all on all the time by disabling JS :P

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – The problem is there are two type of people: those that want everything on the screen, those that with everything on the screen have no idea why something is there while it doesn't do anything (while they simply don't do anything because in order to make that particular option do something you need to enable another one).

Maybe we can meet in between: disable the option, though then, it would require an explanation: "this is enabled only if something else is enabled". meh, more text. :P

:)  That would be a better idea.  As for 'text', that is how we humans communicate, mostly. As a user ( not a programmer ) I truly believe that hiding features because the user base is composed of a certain percentage of idiots is a bad idea. It is sort of like the U.S. school system dumbing down the educational standards so that everyone can get a passing grade. ( before anyone goes all Manc on me, go talk to a school teacher and ask them what they think )

As for screen jumpiness, well, that is a bad thing. If using the JS to exploit a technology causes such issues then maybe hiding the un-activated strings on an active page is a bad idea. Just simply have them not even called or displayed unless that option is enabled. Then just let basic CSS/html does its job. Hope that made sense.  :) 

What ever the outcome, the appearance of the page to the user should be seamless. They should not detect any jumpiness, blur, flash or anything that indicates something is hidden. If they do, then the user will key on this and their impression of the software is affected.

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – I tweaked the JS a bit so its not jumpy now.  

Hiding / showing options is done all over the place in the UI and generally for good reasons, users get confused with all those options. Of course you can have them all on all the time by disabling JS :P

OK ... Devils advocate here.  :)  Where is all over the place and what are the good reasons. If the user base will be that confused, maybe the feature(s) should not even be included in the core software?

FWIW ... I strongly expect that once users find out about those hidden features, they will all get turned on anyway. I foresee countless threads where users tell each other to go ahead and enable all the options. 

:) No throwing rocks at me now, OK.

Reply #7

Quote from: AaronB – OK ... Devils advocate here.  :)  Where is all over the place and what are the good reasons.
"Core features" page (it hides stuff that is not enabled).; the "management of multiple directories for attachments; the creation of a poll; the selection of the avatar in the profile area; the additional smiley in the post page; the "more" button next to each message, the dropdown menus, etc.
These are all places where in a way or another part of the UI is not visible to the user until he does an action.

Quote from: AaronB – If the user base will be that confused, maybe the feature(s) should not even be included in the core software?
This is a bit more complex.
If you have a page with (let's exaggerate a bit) 100 options, but 70 of them work only in case you enable one or more of the others, but not if using certain combinations, and so on, have the 100 options visible at the same time will be confusing no matter what.
You should know and remember that: option 11 applies only if option 5 is enabled, option 21 has a meaning if option 2 and option 18 are selected, but not if option 15 is enabled as well. Option 17 can be used if option 13 has the same value as option 35, but not if it has a value conflicting with option 27. etc.
That's of course an exaggeration, but in that case the best way to present the form is to show what is needed and "has a meaning". It's the same principle behind "wizards": guide the use in the selection of certain options based on his actions/answers.

Quote from: AaronB – FWIW ... I strongly expect that once users find out about those hidden features, they will all get turned on anyway. I foresee countless threads where users tell each other to go ahead and enable all the options.
It is possible, and it is also possible to change the default state of any option if needed.
Is one of the core features used more frequently than not? It can be made "opt-out" (enabled by default and disable by the admin).
Is one of the core features always enabled? Just remove the core feature and make it always enabled.
That is where feedback comes into play, usually different communities require different approaches, though some features are always necessary and as such always enabled.

emanuele throws rock at AaronB. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Ahhh ... thank you emanuele.  :)  Those are good explainations and I understand now. 

That was a nice rock too!  In my days of youth I saw many of the old bands; Alvin Lee, Hendrix, Tull, Joe Cocker, Iron Butterfly, RareEarth, The Guess Who and plenty more. I think I remember the concerts anway.   O:-)   I am sure that is why my ears are always ringing.  ;D

Reply #9

Quote from: Spuds – I tweaked the JS a bit so its not jumpy now.  

Yes, it is perfect now. No ghosting at all.  :)