Skip to main content
Topic: Darkijah in the house, Well JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life... (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

Darkijah in the house, Well JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life...

Apparently I joined with the username Darkijah and not JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life - I'm not sure why that would have happened.
I was kinda sleepy when trying all these things out and trying to joing the site.

By the way HELLO ALL OF YOU!!! :)

On the Hunt for a Forum, I've been a lot of places and investigated a lot and used many moons to find something that suit me. Extremely long story that is only getting longer by the day. Anyway, so someone gave me a forum link on SMF saying he had made a Theme for you I think or something, can't remember his name but he is one of the themers as that was the topic of the thread. I did not really know it was another system but opened the elkarte.net link and found the page. Now I wanted to look around and see what people did with the forum of SMF to get some further data points. So it seems Elkarte is actually its own in some sense. And might be what I'm looking for overall, in any case I'm here trying it out. I'm getting a pool for water collected of info, and I'm beginning to form a picture of it all.

So clearly you had some conflicts, someone trying to take over the project of SMF, ending up forming two other projects called Wedge which is closed source? Not sure how that works when they took code from SMF to further work on it, is that allowed? - And of cause Elkarte that is opensource, and that of cause is a foundational thing for a project.

My primary foundation for a forum is that it is mobile ready, so I left SMF months ago before taking my break from it all as it was very painful overall looking and searching and testing and really to no avail. I was literally everywhere on the board on what direction to go and... Well, in anycase, I came back to SMF and thought it might be the best way to go, I won't be 100% satisfied with any choice and it might be the best bet. I'm still testing and all but really it's still in beta with mobility and apparently one cannot upgrade an RC to a final. Of cause the older version 2.0.17 of SMF which is the stable version does have something, known as responsive themes, that might work on the mobile. But overall, I got this website and thought - maybe this is really the way to go. You already fixed mobility and you already modenized the forum and fixed a lot of things. It really looks good, the potential is there I'm thinking to be a great contender to what Ship to choose to sail.

After chewing on things, I figured that there does not really seem to be that much difference in Themes, like you have 6 pages of themes for the 2.0.17 for SMF, and who knows how many of those are really mobile ready - I'll have to test things, maybe today in regards of that. And then you have elkarte which I would think every theme is made for mobility? So choices of themes does not seem to be that different, like when you first look at the SMF site you have this overwhelming library of Themes, but if they are not usuable anyway then whats the point. Like the SMF RC2 version I have 7 themes in total for it, and really only 2 that is something. And if RC2 can't be upgraded to the stable, or RC3 or RC4 there is really no point of me using them in the first place. So that settles me back on version 2.0.17, which I'm going to install at some point to test.

But anyway, here I have this Elkarte, and it really sounds good, I wanna install that and try it out - this might be it, this might be the Ship I was looking for. The first priority I have of being mobile ready it has - and overall it really has a great uplift overall. By the way, why did the SMF team not just use Elkarte's work for getting things done quicker? Like both are opensource and free for the taken correct? Like it's kinda sad to use the same energy on the same thing multiple times.

So even if SMF RC3 should soon be released, there is zero point really for me to use it. And 2.0.17 not being mobile out of the box at least, well, have to check the Themes - well... And then Elkarte which is mobile ready and good to go out of the box. This will be very interesting to test - but it sounds like Elkarte really is the winner of the two. Really nice job and sad to see a split, when resources could have been used together for one thing then to break apart, but it apparently happens often. FluxBB is an example of how it all was killed because of conflicts and splitting into other projects. It all died, and is just cold now. Very sad, as that was my first choice for a forum which ended up in a road trip that was far far longer then expected. Maybe I'm nearly at my goal! :P I can only hope.

In these times PHP forums has taken a lot of hits, and spreading in times of starvation of things - can be a very dangerous thing to do. Like when things are in decline and not in an upward growth of users, and things split... Well, FluxBB is a great example to behold apparently the programmers did not have any forsight to forsee that every project would die splitting up.

But, at least here we have life - so that is nice. Anyway, I need to go for now - I'll be back, Swimming calls :)
- Dearly Regards
Darkijah also known as JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life on other forums
Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:12:15 am by Darkijah
Dearly Regards - Darkijah - May Jayshua the Anointed, God Almighty who died for the Sins of the world bless you with wholesome health and eyes to see!
Websites: https://JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life and https://Paven666.dk

Re: Darkijah in the house, Well JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life...

Reply #1

@Darkijah
You are not the one who wants to find but can't find a modern forum engine for mobile users  :)

Reply #2

Quote from: forumovod – @Darkijah
You are not the one who wants to find but can't find a modern forum engine for mobile users  :)

Let me see if I got this correct - well, the new modern Java forums kinda do a lot of weird things and I want to have something that is fast as well. I have an old computer, an old Mobile and really... When the old ways works, don't fix it. I'm not not terrible fond of the new modern ways, I did end up after giving up on FluxBB and looking around, to pick one. I picked Flarum as the one working on it was the one who was the head of FluxBB although while trying to get experience with it and working with it I was banned for 18 years or something from the support forum. And overall, that's not going to fly - the Tags confused me as well, and no support and still being in Beta and kinda in doubt of what way the direction it goes. So after seeing myself banned from the support, overall I gave up on that idea. And now, after a break I'm back to looking and sniffing around. So SMF and ElkArta hopefully is the end of me looking around. I narrowed it down to either phpBB or SMF and there are just things that I did not like with phpBB and SMF lagged the mobility I wanted, well it has it in Beta now, and some Responsive Themes for stable apparently which I need to test. But first I had dropped the ball on SMF turning to Flarum when finding out the mobility was only in the RC version and still some way to go for final, although after coming back I thought I could use the RC version, but not going to be upgraded to final so even the new release of RC3 does not matter at all for me.
Well... And now, now I'm here. And getting accustomed to both SMF and ElkArta using it - I think it will be either one or the other I will sail out on.

Its a big project overall, as I need to learn some CSS and PHP skills if I wanna fix a Theme later on, but I think it will be doable, but first I just wanna have something I like and can start out with and settle in.

Well...
Back to installing and testing themes on SMF, I got through all of the ElkArta themes :)

Reply #3

Translation from Russian to English can be very unpredictable in meaning.  :)
I wanted to say that many forum owners are trying to find a modern forum engine for mobile users. But this is a big problem.

Reply #4

Quote from: forumovod –
Quote from: Darkijah – Let me see if I got this correct

Translation from Russian to English can be very unpredictable in meaning.  :)
I wanted to say that many forum owners are trying to find a modern forum engine for mobile users. But this is a big problem.

Well I don't really like all the newness anyway as long as the old can be made mobile :) Rather have speed then lots of new gimmicks and other worldly ways of setup and whatever. The problem really has been for the older forums to comply with making them mobile which of cause kills the forum as so many are using mobiles in our days.
Anyway there seem to be absolutly room for improvement in both SMF and ElkArta as well, but really I'm never 100% satified apparently... At least that does not seem to happen that often in any case. And maybe I can help work out a great Theme as well in the future for sharing, for my own taste as well and nit picking... :D Anyway, first first, getting used to the SMF ElkArta by using them and it is moving forward. Although it is a big mouthful for sure to take in.

Reply #5

Quote from: Darkijah – Well I don't really like all the newness anyway as long as the old can be made mobile :) Rather have speed then lots of new gimmicks and other worldly ways of setup and whatever. The problem really has been for the older forums to comply with making them mobile which of cause kills the forum as so many are using mobiles in our days.
Anyway there seem to be absolutly room for improvement in both SMF and ElkArta as well, but really I'm never 100% satified apparently... At least that does not seem to happen that often in any case. And maybe I can help work out a great Theme as well in the future for sharing, for my own taste as well and nit picking... :D Anyway, first first, getting used to the SMF ElkArta by using them and it is moving forward. Although it is a big mouthful for sure to take in.

Join the discussion  :)  https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5806.0