Skip to main content
Topic: Please use HTTPS (Read 15971 times) previous topic - next topic

Please use HTTPS

It's free with LetsEncrypt and certbot should be pretty easy to setup.

Re: Please use HTTPS

Reply #1

+1

agreed. :D i'm using let's encrypt too, it's easy. just setup and forget.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #2

I don't think it's just "setup and forget" unless you have a proper script to ensure it is renewed every 3 months.

Reply #3

Quote from: ahrasis – I don't think it's just "setup and forget" unless you have a proper script to ensure it is renewed every 3 months.
i think that's already implied in setup process? :)
just add to cron
Code: [Select]
certbot-auto renew --no-self-upgrade

Reply #4

Well, that is not in the "setup" process. It is something you had to add if you want an auto renewal. :P

Reply #5

It adds the cron for you and it's on the installation instructions. I'd call that part of the setup process, but you're arguing semantics.

Reply #6

LOL...

Reply #7

Quote from: kucing –
Quote from: ahrasis – I don't think it's just "setup and forget" unless you have a proper script to ensure it is renewed every 3 months.
i think that's already implied in setup process? :)
just add to cron
certbot-auto renew --no-self-upgrade
Is that new or was I making things (slightly) too complicated exactly one year ago? http://fransdejonge.com/2016/05/lets-encrypt-on-debianjessie/ I mean, even without something that helps you set up the cron job it's quite easy… :P

Reply #8

I kinda have a mixed feeling when certbot's command is mixed with letsencrypt's, so does it really work that way or it really works that way?  :-X

Reply #9

I'm not really sure what you mean. It's the same thing. ;)

$ apt search certbot
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
certbot/testing,testing 0.10.2-1 all
  automatically configure HTTPS using Let's Encrypt

letsencrypt/testing,testing 0.10.2-1 all
  transitional dummy package

Reply #10

IIRC, because the client now maintained by EFF: https://certbot.eff.org/

The repository mentions that: https://github.com/certbot/certbot
QuoteCertbot, previously the Let's Encrypt Client, is EFF's tool to obtain certs from Let's Encrypt, and (optionally) auto-enable HTTPS on your server. It can also act as a client for any other CA that uses the ACME protocol.

I forgot when exactly this happened, maybe when let's encrypt client still in beta. I hold back to deploy it, and when I'm ready to setup it suddenly certbot is the new client. haha. :D got me confused for few days.

Reply #11

For Ubuntu 16.04, the default is still the old LE where only apt install letsencrypt is possible. You need to install certbot ppa to it or use Ubuntu 16.10 (with apt install certbot) if you want to use certbot instead.

That's said, when will we see the green pad lock here @emanuele45, @Spuds ... ?

Reply #12

I have close to no knowledge on the matter (and I prefer not to touch the server LOL), so it's Spuds' call here. Or @TE if he comes around. :P

BTW: I just started researching how to set up ssl on my localhost before google kills desktop notifications support for non-SSL sites... what a pain. ::)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Better open your own topic for your services and put some signature in your profile with a link to them @Brother John. You don't wanna hijack any topics just to promote your services, do you?

Reply #14

Thank you, Brother!