Skip to main content
Topic: Convert SMF to ElkArte (Read 38856 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from How to install ElkArte Alpha?

Convert SMF to ElkArte

Quote from: kucing – Thanks @Antechinus and @emanuele !  Now I'm playing with my new toy :DToo bad there is no converter from SMF2 yet, but it's to be expected from a project that still in alpha phase. There are more important things to do than a converter for now.

Cheers! :)
Doesn't OpenImporter have a smf2elk module? Iirc it has modules to import from and to SMF 1, 2 and even Wedge... (which is what TE wrote it for originally.)
The advantage of an importer is that you can easily revert and/or test whether will work on the new system.

Re: Convert SMF to ElkArte

Reply #1

@Nao : Thanks for the information! I will give it a try later. For anyone that looking the tool mentioned, here is the link for @TE OpenImporter : https://github.com/eurich/openimporter
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #2

The SMF importer isn't published yet.  I have one for Wedge, that file needs some slightly modifications and will be ready for testing soon  ;)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

@TE : The current OpenImporter is unusable then? I will wait for your updates. :)

Reply #4

Quote from: kucing – @emanuele : Now you tempt me to try to convert my (smallish) forum. Is there any caveat for converting my forum now? Want to try to live on bleeding edge  8)
I would do some testing before, it's a while I don't test the upgrade lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: kucing – @TE : The current OpenImporter is unusable then? I will wait for your updates. :)
It's perfectly usable. I used it a few weeks ago to try and import noisen.com on a local test site.
The SMF module, though, I don't know, never used it ;) anything that still uses so many globals, no thank you :P

Reply #6

Haha... Then I will proceed with caution in my localhost :) Thanks for the information and warning. I will wait patiently at least until beta released to convert my forum, just to be safe.

Cheers :D

Reply #7

Quote from: kucing – @TE : The current OpenImporter is unusable then? I will wait for your updates. :)
Nah, it's usable but not with SMF as source forum..

Currently I have Importers for vBulletin4, phpBB3, MyBB 1.6, Wordpress 3, Burning Board 3.1 and phpBoost3.
https://github.com/eurich/openimporter/tree/master/importer

The SMF to Elk import skeleton is almost ready, I think I can finish it within the next days..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #8

Another related question, let's say I already installed ElkArte Alpha. Then how do I update it to the latest alpha? Just overwrite it?

Thanks!

Reply #9

Quote from: kucing – Another related question, let's say I already installed ElkArte Alpha. Then how do I update it to the latest alpha? Just overwrite it?
yep, most of the time replacing files should be enough..

Sometimes you'd need the upgrade scripts (ugrade.php and upgrade_elk_1-0_mysql.sql) because we made database changes.  Adding / changing these is the job of the upgrade scripts.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #10

I was thinking... why don't we change the install to work from the install directory? (And upgrade from upgrade?)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: emanuele – I was thinking... why don't we change the install to work from the install directory? (And upgrade from upgrade?)
it might work for most installations / upgrades but I'm sure we'll get open_basedir errors here and there..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #12

ok, here we are  ;D  ;D  ;D
https://github.com/eurich/openimporter/tree/master/importer
you'd need these files in order to import an SMF 2.0.x: import.php, import_en.xml, smf2_importer.xml
Just upload the three files to your elkarte dir, start import.php via browser, fill in the path to your SMF 2.0 and click "start".. Depending on the size of your SMF it may take  a while...

I've successfully imported my 270k posts SMF  :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #13

Thanks TE! I will try it later on my localhost first, my forum is still too small comparing to yours though.

Now you really tempt me to try ElkArte live on my forum :P

Reply #14

Just start with a sub folder with elk in it! You can run them side by side...