Skip to main content
Topic: 97% complete  (Read 4306 times) previous topic - next topic

97% complete

I noticed that the 1.1 beta milestone on Github is now 97% complete, with just two blockers (assuming that all the blockers are actually reported).

Good work so far.

Any progress on those blockers? I noticed the email state issue hasn't been touched in over a month. If those are all that's left preventing Beta 1 from going forward, might I suggest pushing them forward to Beta 2 and list it in a Known Bugs section for Beta 1.

According to the milestone date, Beta 1 is two months overdue, and as I recall Nov-March is your ideal beta/RC cycle period. If you want to stick to that, you might want to push out Beta 1 sooner than later.

Re: 97% complete

Reply #1

Yeah... long overdue... and I'm really sad about that.

I'm having some up and down on the attachments for the drafts, now  I think I got the hang of it (finally... but actually it's the third time I reach a point I think I'm close to finish the stuff, but after a while I'm thrown back to almost the starting point), downside, I discovered today I'll have some hard-time due to family circumstances for "a period of time", so I hope to put together my ideas during the next weekend unless I have to assist the person having troubles.

About the emails I didn't follow the development closely, so if I have to look at it I have to catch up after attachments for drafts are finished... :(

So, probably Spuds was right, and Christmas is a good time to have the first beta.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

ElkArte 1.0 is already good. No need to rush for 1.1 if the plan is to make ElkArte better. And Christmas sounds like a good time for beta 1 too.

All the best.

Reply #3

I think this is a huge feature that will take a long time to implement and test: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1968 I feel like there is probably a library out there that would handle it so we should see if it exists and implement the solution using that... in a later version.

Reply #4

This can't be considered part of 1.1 as it is just a roadmap "discussion."

I don't think hooks should be changed between major versions. So, that could be removed from that. The theme changes would completely revolutionize the theme system. So, I don't think that should be in there as well. Packages are "working" so let's not break them at this time when developers are limited on time in general.

If you feel that it is short on features, I can probably finish up the BBC parser for testing. I too am pretty busy with a job hunt and I'm "out of town" so it's not that easy, but I want to see a release sooner than later. I'd prefer to get a release and have to wait until 1.2 for this than to push 1.1 back any farther.

Reply #5

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/2201 uh... what's up with this?

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1921 is this done and just needs a PR?

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/222 we can certainly just push this to beta 2 or not do it for 1.1.

So... pretty much done ;)

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – ...I discovered today I'll have some hard-time due to family circumstances for "a period of time", so I hope to put together my ideas during the next weekend unless I have to assist the person having troubles.

Take your time! I lost a loved family member two months ago. The times with him will never come back! So nothing's more important than helping others and be there for each other! We can wait, ElkArte 1.0 is a very good software, no need to rush!
Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:50:14 am by Jorin
Run, bug, run! I will find you!
My ElkArte: Forum für alternative Antriebe

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – I discovered today I'll have some hard-time due to family circumstances for "a period of time", so I hope to put together my ideas during the next weekend unless I have to assist the person having troubles.

Oy, yeah, take time for your family. Elk will be here, grazing, waiting. We'll just make more work for Spuds, Joshua, etc. :P

Reply #8

I'm not sure if all of them are needed or if there is some change to do.

Basically, yes.

Yep.

Indeed the only two blockers are the real time-consuming.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson –
Quote from: emanuele – Indeed the only two blockers are the real time-consuming.
Yeah, so drop the email one and just get the attachments thing handled. Nobody is even working on the email one.

My $0.02 is that the email thing is a feature/enhancement, not a bug. Bouncing emails are basically a fact of life for any kind of email-based accounts.

Reply #11

Yep, it's an enhancement (https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1968 see labels), though it looks like a worthy enhancement (at least I got that feeling).
It's marked as blocker because as far as I understood it still require some database schema change, and since the idea is to avoid db-schema changes from beta to final, these changes should be implemented before the release of the beta.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I have not looked at the email thing in some time, and that makes me happy :D  Not sure what db change is needed, seems like it was a simple tinyint col to flag the type of bounce detection?

Past that, having the new parser in 1.1B1 is the item I'd really like to see in place.

I also need to PR in the latest sceditor, mainly so we can see if we can get back on the unmodified version.  Same for the at.js stuff but that is a bit more involved, so emanuele needs to do that one.