Skip to main content
Topic: $@#! GitHub (Read 4152 times) previous topic - next topic

$@#! GitHub

/Rant ON
I definitely feel ant when he said it's BS (can't find his so-called guide for dummies either)... I can't understand anything at all, after forking there are a billion options and it's just ridiculously unclear.
Also... https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/blob/development/CONTRIBUTING.md I'm either dumb or this is overly-techy, which makes it even harder, as I have to manually look up every single line for what it means! I know you'd like more contributors, well perhaps you may be improving the "how to do it" thing, because despite being able to do something with the code, that ugly interface got on my nerves after wasting an hour trying to understand it.
/Rant OFF

Please, consider it, I'd rather spend time to contribute rather than to figure out that $#!@ interface.

QuoteHow to Contribute:

Fork / Clone the repository. git clone git://github.com/elkarte/ElkArte.git If you are not used to using Github, please read the fork a repository.
Fair enough, could get there after reading the help.
QuoteCreate a new Branch your own repository.
By clicking on where, for example? I can't see any "New branch" button. If you point me here: https://github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/wiki/Create-a-new-branch-with-git-and-manage-branches and tell me to follow a similar nightmare just to do that, I will tell you good luck with that.
Quotecd elkarte
git checkout -b new_branch_enhancement_name
Didn't know the main language was Arabian... I know it's for a command line, but perhaps tell me where I should be throwing that into?
QuotePlease do not commit to your 'master' branch, or branch off and cherry-pick commits before sending in a PR.
I don't even know where my "master" branch would be, let alone do the above, and I am not sure about what it means anyways.
QuoteCode
Adhere to conventions you see in the existing code
Adhere to the Coding standards for the project.
Yeah yeah no problem on that one. Usual blah blah that needs to be followed :)
QuoteCommit your changes to that branch. As many commits on 'new_branch_enhancement_name' as you want.
git commit -a
QuoteGranular commits are not a problem.
What?
QuotePlease try to add only commits related to the respective feature/fix to a branch.
...What does this mean? Like create a branch named "Theme" if I want to do theme fixes and a "Source" branch if I want to touch sources or what?
QuoteIf you need to commit something unrelated, create another branch for that topic.
O.o a branch for every commit..?!
QuotePush your changes to your remote
What?
Quotegit push mine new_branch_enhancement_name
Console commands again, but where to put them? After what? What do they do exactly?
QuoteNEVER leave the commit message empty Please provide a clear, and complete description of your commit!
Fair enough.. The rest is crazy complicated while this is almost Cpt Obvious ;D
QuoteSend in a Pull Request (PR) from your new_branch_enhancement_name branch.
PR to WHAT? You have multiple branches as well and never stated which one I should pick, if at all.
QuoteNavigate to the ElkArte repository you just pushed to (e.g. https://github.com/your-user-name/elkarte)
Click "Pull Request".
The above is the kind of ideal instructions that should be given...
QuoteEnsure the changes you introduced are included in the "Commits" tab.
Yeah the commit tab, see, here you state where I should be going.
QuoteEnsure that the "Files Changed" incorporate all of your changes and not any extra files you may have touched.
Same.
QuoteFill in some details about your potential patch including a meaningful title and description.
Nearly Cpt Obvious part 2, but still good to mention it ;)
QuoteClick "Send pull request".
Yeah... If in a parallel world I managed to get here.
QuoteNOTE If the main repository has been updated in the meantime, you can pull the master changes in your repository:
Like the current patch? In this case, 1.0.6? So I should fork that one and throw PR at it or at other branches?
QuoteTo pull in from master to your master branch: git pull --rebase upstream master (please replace 'upstream' to the name of your remote for the main repository)
To merge after you have updated your master, to your new_enhancement branch:
preferred: git rebase master
alternatively: git merge master (this may create a merge commit by default)
This is Arabian again, maybe ahrasis knows what it means...
Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:05:16 am by Flavio93Zena (#OpIsis)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Re: $@#! GitHub

Reply #1

It's the world of GitHub! Go with the flow, and try things out.
You'll get used to it enough to at least get done what need to.
May take time, but it'll grow on you a bit. XD

Reply #2

So far, the only thing that grew is frustration, and I have quite enough stressing things on my own. If I want to actively contribute, at least it needs not to be stressing like this, I need to know exactly what to do.
Seen many things that can be improved theme-wise and I could help, but it goes with the old saying "Help me to help you" thingy.
Also, sorry if it sounds a bit angry (don't mean to be rude to anyone, at all, other than that """interface"""), try to remember back in the days when you started to use that site, then imagine yourself trying to follow that guide, and tell me how you'd feel.

Reply #3

GitHub is a head scratcher; that is for certain. I followed this example when I created my account last night.

Hello World    I then deleted the Hello World repository and made a new one for the Elkarte master. In the Hello World repository I did not create it with a Readme.

When I created the new repository for Elkarte I did not initialise the repository with a Readme.  I then forked the Elkarte master into my repository, then made a branch and from the master in my repository. I then edited the index.css file in that branch and created this Pull Request:  PR: 2383 .

I think what you are trying to do is run GitHub from your desktop computer and that is way more complicated. There also is a Windows download for GitHub you can use as well.  That is the extent of my knowledge of GitHub.
Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:31:04 pm by Lou

Reply #4

Yeah I did realize there is also the application, I can understand even less, whether I need to use it or not...

Reply #5

Well; I believe there are two ways from the desktop computer. One is with a DOS box, which I think will use the commands that you have referred to in your earlier post. The second way is with the Windows application which is a GUI that interfaces GitHub.

I am taking baby steps so I did the Hello Word method first.  :)  I will probably go to the Windows GUI application next. I don't think I need to think any harder for doing a commit than what is necessary.  I am not that smart.  :)

Reply #6

Yeah I would be just like "You want to commit? Press this, here and there, in X order", it'd be fine enough, but otherwise nope, like I said I don't want to get mad about it, it should be a pleasure/fun/relaxing instead, otherwise there is no point.

Reply #7

Reminds me of my problems with Transifex.  :-[

Reply #8

Interesting, I found Transifex quite straightforward. Minds are different I guess, something very hard for one, can be easy for the other and viceversa :)

Reply #9

Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree  :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #10

Quote from: Flavio93Zena (#OpIsis) –
QuoteCreate a new Branch your own repository.
By clicking on where, for example? I can't see any "New branch" button.[...]
Quotecd elkarte
git checkout -b new_branch_enhancement_name
Didn't know the main language was Arabian... I know it's for a command line, but perhaps tell me where I should be throwing that into?
Apparently you don't. :P
git is a command-line tool (there are some GUI built on top), you have to download a git client and use it.
If it is Arabic (I think the English equivalent is Greek ;)) to you... well, it's almost like CSS to me then. :P
Anyway, you download a client, you install it, you clone the repository on your own computer (and here we'll have to dig further once you get there) and do everything else.

http://bfy.tw/4GUb
That's English knowledge (actually it's not very different from the Italian "granulare"), not git. :P
Anyway, it means: better do a lot of (consistent) commits of 10 lines each, rather than a single one with 10,000 changed lines.

QuotePlease try to add only commits related to the respective feature/fix to a branch.
...What does this mean? Like create a branch named "Theme" if I want to do theme fixes and a "Source" branch if I want to touch sources or what?
In theory, if you create a branch to work on the ban system you do not commit something related to the mentions in the same branch, you finish working on the "feature/fix", then create a new branch and work on something different (at least in theory, but that's just a guideline I do not follow all the times O:-)).

QuoteIf you need to commit something unrelated, create another branch for that topic.
O.o a branch for every commit..?!
A branch for any series or related commits.

Flavio, git is a tool. It's a tool like SVN was and CVS before SVN.
Unfortunately, all of them have a learning curve. Some find more comfortable one, others find more comfortable another one.
We picked git because... well, it is among the most used version control systems (if not the most used) and for sure the most advanced and (probably) developed.
You should also consider that CONTRIBUTING.md is not intended as a fully fledged guide to the use of git, let alone github. It's a summary of the workflow, and it also assumes you are kind of familiar with git and some of its terminology.

That said, from what I read, I feel you are confusing git with github: the first is a version control software, the latter is a website that provides space/tools for git-based repositories with some more or less basic actions that can be performed on the repository directly from the webinterface.

Personal experience:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I know my post reads something like RTFM, but that's how I tend to do things... :P
Of course if you have a specific problem feel free to ask, but if the question is "how does it work" then... well... O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Still liked it, althought it was sort of rtfm you actually clarified some points, thanks. Will have a look, slowly.
I've seen tons of things that could be improved css-wise and since it's my strongest field I feel I can easily help :)

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele – That said, from what I read, I feel you are confusing git with github: the first is a version control software, the latter is a website that provides space/tools for git-based repositories with some more or less basic actions that can be performed on the repository directly from the webinterface.

That latter is the path I took. Worked for me but my needs at the moment are simple and I am learning. I simply did a copy from Notepad++ and pasted that into the file.  Simple .... like me.    ;D

Reply #14

Well, I tried the program and it doesn't even work because it can't even clone the repository, and I have no idea why. I give up with this fudge nuggets, best of luck with GitHub, sorry but I am not going to spend another minute trying to figure out this crap.
Thank you regardless for trying to help - locking as I don't even want to talk about it anymore.