Skip to main content
Topic: No Welcome Mail (Read 3553 times) previous topic - next topic

No Welcome Mail

1.0.9 - [Send welcome email to new members] is ticked but no welcome email is sent to new members.

New member registered > activation email is sent > member activated and logged on > no welcome email is sent.

Re: No Welcome Mail

Reply #1

I don't think an additional welcome email has ever been sent after activation.
The email with the activation code has subject "Welcome to {forum name}" and that is the welcome email in that case.
IIRC this welcome email is the one sent with direct registration or admin activation.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

In my forum I use email verification during registration. Lately I have received reports that users are not getting that email and I have to activate their accounts manually. 

Reply #3

The "activate your account" emails are very often flagged as SPAM, so they end up in the junk/spam folder.  I'm not sure if this is due to the specific wording used in the email, or that the link back looks spammy, but for sure they get flagged (gmail, outlook for sure, yahoo I don't remember). 

We should look to add some text along the lines of ... your email will be sent in the next 5 mins, if you don't see it be sure to check your spam folder etc ...

Reply #4

Well, it looks a bit spammy: 1) new account created (already suspect), 2) three URLs in it, and 3) most likely a not very widely known sender.

The three together scream spam for most of the biggest email providers I guess.

I feel we could either make the text of the email longer, or reduce the number of links in it to just 1 or 2.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: txcas – In my forum I use email verification during registration. Lately I have received reports that users are not getting that email and I have to activate their accounts manually.
I use smtp relay and it works great. you should try it.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – I don't think an additional welcome email has ever been sent after activation.
The email with the activation code has subject "Welcome to {forum name}" and that is the welcome email in that case.
IIRC this welcome email is the one sent with direct registration or admin activation.
Noted. I thought when it is ticked there will be another email for that. My bad. :D
Quote from: kucing – I use smtp relay and it works great.
I am using this with gmail too. But I think it has a limit of 2-3k per day. If a forum need to send more, then the code should be "hacked" to allow multiple accounts and change it in every 1k. Any takers for this suggested addon? :D

Reply #7

Actually, the mail queue is there exactly to cope with this kind of limitations. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

If a forum sends 5k email per day, and it is limited by gmail at 3k per day, how does email queue helps? Plus that email account may be blocked if used to send emails over its limit.

Reply #9

You mean 5k emails each and every day? You are talking of an already rather big forum...

Personally, with such a big forum, I wouldn't bother having to deal with multiple gmail accounts just to keep up the emails rate, I would look for a stable solution able to deal with the traffic. But that's just me.

Anyway, then yup, you'd need such an addon. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

agreed, you should use a paid SMTP service. it's cheap nowadays. try sparkpost or pepipost.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #11

Indeed. Definitely. Agreed.