Skip to main content
Topic: Personal Messaging (Read 2370 times) previous topic - next topic

Personal Messaging

Am working on setting up a new site. Right now only 2 members but in testing features we've found that sending PMs in the site results in sending to the user's personal email account and not the personal messaging system. Users would prefer to keep that information private unless releasing it to someone by design.

How can I confine personal messages to the PM system and showing the sender ONLY as the member name? What have I missed?

Re: Personal Messaging

Reply #1

Hello and welcome to Elkarte!

I'm not sure I understand well your question, but have a look in Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> General Permission -> modify Regular Members and disable the option "Send emails".

Is this what you are looking for?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

No. The user's real name and email address is showing up in personal messages that can only be read on the site. I don't want to stop personal messages, only the showing of personal information that all members do not need. I really don't want to stop personal messaging. If I have to do that, I'll have to go to another platform.

Reply #3

There is a admin/site option to prevent real email addresses from displaying.
But I can't remember where it is actually located.

If don't readily find it under admin
check out theme settings.

DEPENDING ON THAT ...
Users themself, also have the option in their profile settings.
Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:49:43 pm by derived

Reply #4

Quote from: derived – There is a admin/site option to prevent real email addresses from displaying.
But I can't remember where it is actually located.

If don't readily find it under admin
check out theme settings.

DEPENDING ON THAT ...
Users themself, also have the option in their profile settings.

Thank you. I'll be checking both of those.

Reply #5

Hello and welcome. :)

hmm... I'm not sure.
PMs do not send the personal email of anyone around. I'm pretty sure about that since I receive several PMs and I've never seen the email address of any of the senders.
Regarding the name... the "display name" (i.e. the nick anyone can see on the forum) is sent as "From" parameter of the email, but that's  it. This is part of the design, change it would require some code changes.

What may, but if I remember correctly it doesn't, make it visible "somehow" the email email is the email feature that is something entirely different from the Personal Messages system (and that can be disabled without affecting the PMs or any other functionality).

Then, the body of the PM is sent, sure. But even that can be switched off (IIRC, it's a while I don't check the admin section of the PMs) so that only a notice informing of a new pm i sent.

The only thing right now I can imaging happening and that may resemble what you are describing is that your users are replying to the emails from the PM system thinking they are direct messages, and the answers are coming back at your email address that you used in the admin panel as "sender" for the emails from the forum.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Right now there are only 2 of us on the site, working to get it ready for more. We are NOT emailing, we are only using Personal Message and yet the full name and email address is showing up on those messages. At the moment, notifications is turned off. The other person working with me is offline at the moment or I'd try another exchange and screenshot it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Neither of us are neophytes. We know very well the differences between email and PM.

Reply #7

Well, you didn't specify anything so I start from the basics. ;)
And probably, even if you had, I would have mentioned the thing anyway, I myself do errors, so I assume nobody is bulletproof. :)

Anyway, I just sent you a PM, let me know if you see my email address there.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Yes I saw your message, it was fine. But that is on THIS particular site. I went ahead and turned off email to all groups but global moderators and admin and it's working. So far.

I'm a little confused on some of the other things but will manage.

Reply #9

Yes, but at least we are narrowing down the problems.
Now, could you explain me exactly what settings did you change? So that I can investigate what kind of relation there is?
Thanks! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.