I have just updated to 1.1.8 (from 1.1.6). Now I'm willing to resolve an email-problem. Reply emails (post by email) can be viewd in the moderator view, but tagged with "Missing Key". Auto repair is not possible.
I'd suggest that the message-ID is shaped like this, visible in the email body when view "all headers and message" is activated.
I can see that the reply to the forum contains the same ID as the received notification.
I also experimented - without success - by copying the key into the message body directly, since a short code review tells me that the key is searched for in the header section as well as in the mail body.
Hint: Elkarte is not setup to operate with piping option since the mail server does not support this (I assume that piping is recommended simply because of no mailbox polling delay).
I think that the settings for this (in my case: POP3, TLS, port 110) is not specifically interesting, since the emails arrive and can be viewed in de moderate queue.
Is there any log that I can access in order to localize the cause of the problem?
Could you attach a raw example message that fails so I can take a look at what may be happening?
If it can't find an ID in the message no auto repair is possible, so that behavior is correct.
Thanks for your reply. Elkarte could help me to achieve acceptance in using a forum (at all) in a small group that communicates mainly via email. Just because Elkarte supports reply and post by email.
Here you are (ending .mbs changed in .txt, further some details replaced by xxxxx).
EDIT: I have just activated "notity" on this thread - I'd be able to test reply by email using the same mail client.
That message has no ElkArte post by email 'key' in it :(
The key is, in regex speak
This translates to a 32 alpha numeric string followed by a - followed by the letter p, t or m and then a sequence of numbers that correspond to the the specific P T or M ... the system will then check if that key was sent to the email that responded. It will look
That email has the 32 characters, then the - but it NOT followed by a p, t, or m ??? I'm not sure how that is possible, but what it has is 79aaad41a2afc55bd3c1c17717fad46a-22 which will not process. I'm not sure where to check TBH
Hi, thanks for clarifying,
the message ID is in the header part. So as for test, I now reply without the copy of the message ID in the bode. Should work. This reply is by email. But it appears not to arrive. I just saw that the sender is a "noreply"-address. Hence, reply by email is not activated.
I'll try to analyze what's going wrong in my Elkarte forum setup. Apparently the key is not reflected to the header section as intended in notify emails.
Could you help point to the relevant code?
Sorry I missed this post ... the key is added as part of the sendmail function which will be found in the mail.subs.php file
One the ElkArte side follow the information in this guide: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Posting-by-Email-Feature
If the sent email has all the right headers (and there is no reason it should not as long as you have followed the above) then the problem would be with the email client that is responding. Not all email clients are well behaved.
I tried two different email-domain addresses, and also answered using not my desktop email-client but also webmail client.
Mail arrive still in moderation queue...
BTW: I see a function function mail_insert_key($message, $unq_head, $line_break) (line 785), which is declared as a "safety net for clients that strip out the message-id and in-reply-to headers".
Indeed, I see such a key - e.g.: ELK-d6aa927ccde3acc5826c9f88a7c6a874, but this is not part of the reply. But when I add this to the reply, it still remains in the moderation queue.
I think I'd add a log file entry where generated keys in mail_insert_key are stored - as an aid to find the final cause of the problem.