[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47825 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #15

Yes, I think it's because it's in-between others... It doesn't feel right. Other applications place it at the end of menu row, or even more, in a corner of its own (like search is).
Username in the middle of the menu row feels odd, things are named by function there.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #16

maybe move it to where the logout button is and make "logout" a child of the username..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #17

Then why not the avatar? xref: http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=323.msg2059#msg2059

A "1" like that next to the avatar would almost look like a bubble from a comic strip (funny and nice I think). And if you want to highlight the fact that the avatar has a dropdown use an arrow on the side like gmail for example.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Quote from: TestMonkey – Yes, I think it's because it's in-between others... It doesn't feel right.
No, that isn't the reason at all. The position is fine. The naming is wrong.

QuoteOther applications place it at the end of menu row, or even more, in a corner of its own (like search is).
I don't care what they do. I just want this one right. :D Hiding it somewhere else is not going to improve things, IMO.

QuoteUsername in the middle of the menu row feels odd, things are named by function there.
Good. So we name it by function.

Quote from: emanuele – Then why not the avatar? xref: http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=323.msg2059#msg2059

A "1" like that next to the avatar would almost look like a bubble from a comic strip (funny and nice I think). And if you want to highlight the fact that the avatar has a dropdown use an arrow on the side like gmail for example.
Except that if someone has the header collapsed they will miss it all.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #19

TBH I'd just call it "My Stuff" and be done with it. That works for anyone, because they'll be looking for "My Stuff".

"Hey, where the f ;D k is my stuff? Oh s :P t, there it is right there! My stuff! Awesome!"

Anyone can comprehend that at a glance. Even professsionals or grannies. Let's do it. :)

ETA: Have changed my poll vote. Current 2c is use Admin or Moderate for the staff button (actually, Moderation would be better) depending on whether the user is a mod or admin.

Use "My Stuff" for the PM/profile combo. Aternatively, "My Account" would be ok. Username just feels plain wrong to me.
Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:02:03 pm by Antechinus

Reply #20

:D

Reply #21

ROFL!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #22

I'm enjoying it, but I'm also serious. When I'm scanning a menu in a hurry, that title just totally nails it for me. It's like ........"My Stuff" > Bang. Done.

Reply #23

Hey had another thought. No http requests, no gfx apps, easy to set up, and good for a11y. These scale perfectly up to any size, and will inherit font colour from the button, so easy for theming there too.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2692/index.htm
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2615/index.htm

Code: [Select]
#button_pm .linklevel1, #button_admin .linklevel1 {
padding: 0 0.6em 0 1.9em;
}
#button_pm .linklevel1:before, #button_admin .linklevel1:before {
position: absolute;
display: inline-block;
top: 0.1em;
left: 0.3em;
font-size: 1.5em;
}
#button_pm .linklevel1:before {
content:"\2615";
}
#button_admin .linklevel1:before {
content:"\2692";
}

Reply #24

I like your unicode idea there Ant!
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #25

Ok, Plan #4756291 Subsection 2 Appendix 4329z..............................  :D  :P  O:-)

Can we maybe agree to handle the personal stuffz title as follows?

My Account is perhaps (perhaps) more neutral in tone and "professional" (meaning boring) than "My Stuff", even though I am sure 99% of professionals would be fine with the latter. It's also clearly labelling by function.

So, if someone has profile permissions but not PM permissions, just give them a "My Account" title with profile stuffz in the droppy.

If they have PM permissions but not profile permissions, give them a "My Messages" title with PM stuffz in the droppy.

If they have both PM and profile permissions, give them a "My Account" title with both PM and profile stuff in the droppy (PM first, as it will probably be used more often) and...

if they also have new PM's, change the title to "My Messages", along with the usual numeric indicator. This would just be an extra bit of eye-catching when they have new PM's.

Array code works like this:

Code: [Select]
			'pm' => array(
'title' => $context['allow_pm'] && (!$context['allow_edit_profile'] || $context['user']['unread_messages'] > 0) ? $txt['pm_short'] : 'My Account',
'href' => $context['allow_pm'] ? $scripturl . '?action=pm' : $scripturl . '?action=profile',
'show' => $context['allow_pm'] || $context['allow_edit_profile'],
'sub_buttons' => array(

Quote from: IchBin – I like your unicode idea there Ant!
Yeah they kinda cute. I like them. I wouldn't bother with doing them on every button, in part because there aren't enough good utf8 thingies for every button*, but for those two buttons I think they're probably a good idea.

*There are a lot of thingies, but most of them woudn't be suitable.

Reply #26

Had another thought (dammit). The calendar and memebrlist shouldn't really have an extra level in the menu, IMO.

They only have two options each, and one of them is linked from the second level anyway (ie: the basic view option). What with having to change cursor direction and grab the other target, it's arguably easier to just hit the second level link, get to either calendar or memberlist, then choose what you want to do once you're there. This is partcularly the case if you're using click menus.

I think the third level should be kept for areas that actually have enough options to make a third level useful. So, I reckon we just have basic calendar and memberlist links under the Community button, and leave it at that. It'll simplify our array, and wont really be noticeably less convenient for users.

Reply #27

Ha! Unicode! Everyone will support Unicode right? No chance, sunshine. :P

Get this: I found some nice Unicode thingies that would do for the relevant buttons. Got them positioned and sized well in Firefox, then decide to check other browsers.

So Opera is fine. Webkit and IE and not. They don't support the required characters. Yes, you heard right. Webkit and IE do not have comprehensive UTF8 character support.

This means that we can't use those nifty scalable icons. We'd have to make our own blah blah blah. Or, we just give Firefox and Opera nifty icons and give the others the finger.

Reply #28

Quote from: Antechinus –
Hey had another thought. No http requests, no gfx apps, easy to set up, and good for a11y. These scale perfectly up to any size, and will inherit font colour from the button, so easy for theming there too.

I'd just like to point out that if you want to go that way, you'll have to provide a fallback for browsers that don't support the full Unicode set... For instance, none of these show up on my Galaxy S3. And I've got plenty of additional fonts installed on it in root mode... It's just that the main font doesn't have the full Unicode, only most of the ranges. It does away with so many symbolic ranges.

I know-- I tried myself, months ago... Was bitterly disappointed. Well, I went ahead with it in some situations, but don't forget that some browsers don't simply 'hide' an unavailable character, they show a square in its place...

Re: OP, I merged the Admin and Moderate menus a couple of years ago for Wedge, and haven't looked back ever since. Don't bother with making Moderate a sub-menu -- just add a separator!
Oh, wait, SMF doesn't support separators..? I don't remember. It's so old for me...

:edit: Quick edit is (still?) broken. Also, I can like my own posts... Which is fine by me, but make sure it's settable in the admin area!

Reply #29

It appears that I missed a post, and subsequently got ninja'd.

Quick edit works on my s3. Interesting.

Oh, yes, sometimes a browser will require q neutral font such as Aerial to display the full Unicode. But it still doesn't work on mobile.