Skip to main content
Topic: Iz this thing feature locked yet? (Read 7102 times) previous topic - next topic

Iz this thing feature locked yet?

Just wondering, since people are starting to rock up and suggest all sorts of grooviness/bloat/delays to release schedule/whatever you want to call it.

If it is locked, may be this should be announced. If it aint locked (and that includes refactoring, etc BTW) maybe it should be. :)

Also, just wondering how difficult it will be to adapt SMF mods, given the amount of refactoring that is happening.
Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:58:28 pm by Antechinus
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Iz this thing feature locked yet?

Reply #1

You are in realm of Feature Cat!! Run while you still can!! :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

There's a lot of work going on to attain all targets we want in, before beta.
Please take a look here: http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=141.0 and the roadmap on github. I have updated it (I hope) to mark what was done or where it is in progress.

I don't think I'd propose to feature-lock before March. There isn't much time anyway.

On the other hand: afaict we don't have the themes ready or close to ready, as wanted for the release. I honestly don't really know what is intended (except in rough lines), but that's exactly why I'd appreciate if you ugly designers will update us on your intentions, status or estimations. :)

Re: mods/addons.
Hooks compatibility with 2.1 is preserved (and I think it will be). But the code based on the core's functions (any functions calls, files includes, etc), will need to be updated.
=> mods will need updated.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #3

Ok cool. Bookmarked the roadmap thingy. Will look at the rest. Feature lock in March sounds reasonable.

I can do a desktop theme to beta standard pretty quickly. Should have some more time in a week or so, but am a bit tight for spare time at the moment. The basics of the what-was-to-be-SMF-2.1 default are still sound, so it's mainly a matter of tarting the thing up to make it our own. (More or less, with cherries on top, etc).

I'll have to leave any jQuery Mobile stuff up to Brad, since I have NFI how that works and will have enough on my plate anyway. I don't mind learning it, just not right now.

Mods sounds about right. I'm happy to run this thing live as soon as it's stable enough, but I'll need some extra functionality, which means more work for me (like basically figure out custom portal installation).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P