Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte 1.1 Final - Release announcement (Read 22927 times) previous topic - next topic

ElkArte 1.1 Final - Release announcement

After three years of (albeit inconsistent) work, the ElkArte Community is pleased to announce the release of the stable version of ElkArte 1.1, the first minor update to the ElkArte 1.x line of software.
Talking about a "minor" release sounds a bit diminished, since many things were changed, especially in the code, but still we decided not to increase the major version because anyway the changes are not too architecturally deep.

Some of the most exciting new features present in ElkArte 1.1:
  • Inline Attachments allow displaying of attachment thumbnails inline with the text of the post
  • "Permanent" drafts (i.e. Drafts saved by the user are not purged, while system auto-saved drafts are)
  • A better implementation of notifications with more granular control for both the end-users and the admins
  • Added 2FA, Two factor authentication
  • Desktop notifications and number of unread notifications "live" in the favicon of the browser
  • Replacement of bitmap/jpeg/png and Font Awesome icons with modern SVG images where possible
  • New version of Editor with many improvements (including the undo/redo plugin)
  • Better separation of "structure" and "colors" in theme and variants to improve the theme flexibility
  • Consolidation of theme CSS classes and colors to simplify the customization
  • Many layout "tweaks" to improve user experience
  • Use of HTML structural elements in the page markup (header, section, article, aside, etc)
  • PM reporting now has it's own page (previously it was just a PM to the admin)
  • Ajax recent activity tabs in the view profile area
  • Built in attachment lightbox with prev/next arrow navigation
  • Like statistics page (most liked posts, members, etc)
  • Added mail-check function during registration to catch common email input errors and provide did you mean suggestions
  • Moving-range for calendar limit (instead of the old fixed range)
  • Separation of the php-cache from the theme-assets-cache
  • Update scripts to use JQuery3
  • Improved internal admin settings search
  • Email bounce detection when using post by email functions
  • several other improvements and fixes

On the coding-side:
  • Raised minimum version of PHP to 5.3.3
  • Support for php up to 7.2
  • Class autoloader added
  • Almost complete rewrite of the BB-code parser for improved speed
  • preparsecode function updated for improved speed
  • Much wider use of OOP compared to 1.0
  • Use of http request class to consolidate all interaction with POST/GET
  • New Session framework
  • New Settings form framework
  • A new way to "plug" into controllers with "modules"
  • New methods for the database abstraction (fetchQuery, fetchQueryCallback)
  • and counting.

But, as usual, the best way to know about ElkArte is to download the software and install it in order to discover all the features, and if you have any doubt feel free to join the forum at elkarte.net and ask!
Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:28:01 pm by Spuds
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: ElkArte 1.1 Final - Release announcement

Reply #1

Yeah !

Now on to 2.0 ... well after I finish addon updates  O:-)

Reply #2

xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

What be the proper procedure to upgrade my forum from 1.0.10? Replace all files from the zip or can this be installed from package manager?

Reply #4

1) backup (you never know)[1]
2) the "replace all files" is the way[2] (then pointing to the forum should bring you to the upgrade procedure, otherwise just go to forum/install/upgrade.php).
3) follow the upgrade instructions and delete the "install" directory (the upgrade script tries to do, but if it fails you have to do it manually).
Actually, the ideal situation is: do a test upgrade on a clone of your forum and verify nothing breaks.
Even better would be to remove any thing except Settings.php and Settings_bak.php and upload the new files.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Well this was awhile in coming. Congrats, everyone!

Reply #6

maintenance not disabled after upgrading?

Reply #7

This should be fun for Hydrogen Audio, since I've subtly modified the scripts in various places, and changed the default theme, imported and changed a dark theme, etc. Oh yeah, and addons that we use, too.

Reply #8

Quote from: kucing – maintenance not disabled after upgrading?
I see it too when I run it through the webpage.  That at least didn't happen when I just ran the upgrade script from the command line.

This seems a not ready for release release to me.  

Now with object obfuscated code via the database.  Whee!

Let's see.  Install_1-1.php says put this into settings. 

array('modules_display', 'mentions,poll,verification,random'),
        array('modules_post', 'mentions,poll,attachments,verification,random'),
        array('modules_personalmessage', 'labels,verification'),
        array('modules_register', 'verification'),

What actually ended up in settings after the upgrade?
Code: [Select]
+-------------------------+---------------------------------+
| variable                | value                           |
| modules_display         | drafts,poll,random              |
| modules_personalmessage | drafts,verification             |
| modules_post            | drafts,poll,verification,random |
| modules_profile         | drafts                          |
| modules_register        | verification                    |

I guess that's why the attachments context isn't set as I posted in my bug report.  Likely there will be other problems as well from the difference in the two lists.  Upgrade doesn't set everything the code needs.

I can see why enabling attachments doesn't help either.  A quick search finds no calls to enableModules for attachments outside of install/upgrade.

If you're going to make modules optional, you need to test with and without the module.  Really all combinations, but certainly a simple on off for each one.
Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:02:42 am by scripple

Reply #9

Quote from: kucing – maintenance not disabled after upgrading?

Confirmed, maintenance mode was not automatically disabled after upgrading. I must edit Settings.php to disabled maintenance mode (change 2 value into 0 value)

Moreover if you use Cloudflare, you must do purge everything in order to have correct display...

Reply #10

Quote from: scripple – Now with object obfuscated code via the database.  Whee!
What you mean?
The fact the sql file do not contain sql anymore, but the definitions according to the db-abstraction?
Well, that was done because maintain multiple[1]sets of install and multiple sets of upgrades leads to problems and since we already have code that deals with that, better use it instead of waste time and forget about things.

It's actually possible to convert it into a pure sql file, actually, I have already the code somewhere for other reasons, the idea is to write an abstraction that isntead of executing the queries simply writes the string to a file for example.

Quote from: scripple – Let's see.  Install_1-1.php says put this into settings. 

array('modules_display', 'mentions,poll,verification,random'),
        array('modules_post', 'mentions,poll,attachments,verification,random'),
        array('modules_personalmessage', 'labels,verification'),
        array('modules_register', 'verification'),

What actually ended up in settings after the upgrade?
Code: [Select]
| variable                | value                           |
| modules_display         | drafts,poll,random              |
| modules_personalmessage | drafts,verification             |
| modules_post            | drafts,poll,verification,random |
| modules_profile         | drafts                          |
| modules_register        | verification                    |
This should be according to what you have enabled at the time of the upgrade.

Quote from: scripple – I guess that's why the attachments context isn't set as I posted in my bug report.  Likely there will be other problems as well from the difference in the two lists.  Upgrade doesn't set everything the code needs.

I can see why enabling attachments doesn't help either.  A quick search finds no calls to enableModules for attachments outside of install/upgrade.

If you're going to make modules optional, you need to test with and without the module.  Really all combinations, but certainly a simple on off for each one.
Sh**t happens. :(
remember that in theory the abstraction could be set up to work with other dbms as well, and that would mean an install and an upgrade sql script re-written for each of them, while with this soluiton it's just about adding the code for interpreting the convention
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

I think I've gotten a little rusty, how do I upgrade?  Download the ElkArte_v1-1-0_install.zip and tell Filezilla just to update all files? 
Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:28:43 am by elk_is_cool

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele – 1) backup (you never know)[1]
2) the "replace all files" is the way[2] (then pointing to the forum should bring you to the upgrade procedure, otherwise just go to forum/install/upgrade.php).
3) follow the upgrade instructions and delete the "install" directory (the upgrade script tries to do, but if it fails you have to do it manually).

On #2 above....I created the clone of my site and replaced all files. Then when I go to my forum URL it runs install.php instead of upgrade.php. It appears it will do a full new install if I go that route. Should I manually point it to upgrade.php? Doing so does take me to the upgrade page instead of the install page. Should I continue on this way?
Actually, the ideal situation is: do a test upgrade on a clone of your forum and verify nothing breaks.
Even better would be to remove any thing except Settings.php and Settings_bak.php and upload the new files.

Reply #14

Quote from: b4pjoe – On #2 above....I created the clone of my site and replaced all files. Then when I go to my forum URL it runs install.php instead of upgrade.php. It appears it will do a full new install if I go that route. Should I manually point it to upgrade.php? Doing so does take me to the upgrade page instead of the install page. Should I continue on this way?
Sorry, probably I didn't explain it crystal clear: with "clone" I mean create a perfectly functioning duplicate with a different database and paths in order to properly test the upgrade before doing it "live". :)
It's always good practice to test before doing the real one, just because if something goes wrong for any reason, you don't even have to care about restoring a backup, you just wipe the clone and investigate the issue. ;)

ETA: sorry, I misread "#2" and thought it was #1... ::)
hmm... that's strange, it should bring you to upgrade.php, if it does not, just replace install.php with upgrade.php in the address bar.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.