Skip to main content
Topic: Profile Summary (Read 9637 times) previous topic - next topic

Profile Summary

Got around to taking a look at things which may jazz that screen up a bit.  In addition to finding a few more bugs :P here is a screen shot that shows it as a block style layout, much like the moderation and admin landing pages.  We can also add in a hook so addional blocks could be added and/or existing ones removed.

The buddies block at the top is only shown for your own profile ... there is also a moderation block (not shown in the screen capture) that will show up if you have those permissions.

Anyway before I did much more wanted to get feedback if this is a direction we want to go or not!
Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:20:44 pm by Spuds

Re: Profile Summary

Reply #1

emanuele thinks it looks already much better than the current one! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Agree with ema. However, I'm not sure I like the buddies at the top of my profile. Not that I look at my profile all that often, just seems like the more important info should first be visible.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

Quote from: IchBin – Agree with ema. However, I'm not sure I like the buddies at the top of my profile. Not that I look at my profile all that often, just seems like the more important info should first be visible.
So move it down to just above the attachments or other options?   I could also make it a narrow block but it gets pretty packed up that way.

Reply #4

There may be some kind of updates from buddies?...

emanuele runs!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

I guess it looks a little too blocky, if I may say. I'd rather have a kind of sidebar on the left and put avatar and some of the personal information there. I'd also list the buddies there, vertically, along with profile visitors, if the feature is added. As far as the right main part goes, what I'd expect is user's content. Attachments are a start but that is the last thing when I think of content. I think some of the posts and topics of the user should be listed there, along with attachments, possibly tabbed. Data from likes feature would be very useful as well, like listing liked stuff or user's stuff liked by other members. I know that they're all available as sub sections but as a user I expect to see a part of the content right on that main profile page and if want to further look into a particular type of content, I'll use the sub sections. I guess I expect the page to be kind of like a member portal, if you know what I mean. Also, I think profile comments would be a very important addition. It really enhances the community feeling. These two are good examples of what I mean: GitHub and MyAnimeList.

Reply #6

Quote from: [SiNaN] – I guess it looks a little too blocky, if I may say.
Coming from the "block king" thats harsh :'( ;D ;D
Quote I'd rather have a kind of sidebar on the left and put avatar and some of the personal information there. I'd also list the buddies there, vertically, along with profile visitors, if the feature is added.
I can do a more compact buddies list and place it on the left.  We have not added any profile visitors option to the code, that would be for a 1.1 should there be a desire for it as we are actually trying to wrap up 1.0 features.
QuoteAs far as the right main part goes, what I'd expect is user's content. Attachments are a start but that is the last thing when I think of content. I think some of the posts and topics of the user should be listed there, along with attachments, possibly tabbed. Data from likes feature would be very useful as well, like listing liked stuff or user's stuff liked by other members.
Humm those are good ideas for some additional blocks,  like the last 5-10 or so posts, liked, liked by, topics etc ... Don't know about tabbed at this point, maybe if Ant gets some time.  If I make all the "main" blocks wider I could add a simple drag sortable option as well (could do that with the current arrangement as well but it can lead to some broken things that I don't want to deal with ATM)

QuoteAlso, I think profile comments would be a very important addition. It really enhances the community feeling.
Thats a good idea as well, and another thing for 1.1 !  

QuoteThese two are good examples of what I mean: GitHub and MyAnimeList.
Darn, right in front of my face every day !  Need to do some more thinking of what I can do ... there is a freeze warning looming ;)  Thanks for your input, great feedback.

Reply #7

Quote from: Spuds – Coming from the "block king" thats harsh :'( ;D ;D
I guess it sounds weird coming from me, lol. To be honest, I've been hoping to get rid of the blocky layout with SimplePortal for quite some time too, which was inspired by PHP-Nuke.

And you're welcome. Good luck with implementing those!

Reply #8

Problem with sidebars of any sort is varying screen res. At some point it'll start looking borked.

Agree about the "blocky". The overall look reminds me of the old Ultimate Profile mod, which to my eye always looked like a bit of a mess due to the block heights being all over the place.

How about (random thought) keeping the two column layout but using fewer visible wrappers? Sort of like the change I made to the old stats page.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #9

Played around with this a bit more ...

Still have not replaced the block's on the summary page as I'm still deciding what to do

Also gave tabs a try,  I could not find a css only solution that did not have some sort of problem, either not working in <ie9 or if it did, the tabs did not fallback cleanly or had accessibility issues.  So in the end I just used good old jQuery, which leaves the markup very clean, the css is a bit ugly due to all the selectors jQuery adds but thats the way it goes

I did add in recent posts and recent topics started by "blocks" and placed them in a seperate tab with the attachments

Moved buddies to its own tab

QuoteHow about (random thought) keeping the two column layout but using fewer visible wrappers? Sort of like the change I made to the old stats page.
I'll take a look at that ... right now it was modeled after the mod and admin landing pages (had to start somewhere)

Todays screen shots attached.

Reply #10

And here is a less block like version (I hope !)

This keeps the same left sidebar on all the pages (at a glimpse sidebar view), then the main section is based on the tab you choose ...
Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:16:00 am by Spuds

Reply #11

That looks pretty nice! Nice work Spudz!
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #12

Quote from: IchBin – That looks pretty nice! Nice work Spudz!
+1. 
My favourite would be tabs with blocks (reply #9, [font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Liberation Sans', 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, sans-serif]http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=692.msg4894#msg4894)[/font],  but all of them are way better than the old "SMF" profile. Great work...
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #13

Looks pretty good on the whole, but given the problems the sidebar is likely to cause on some screens, I'd be more inclined to have the basic info/avatar across the top. If someone wants to use the sidebar menu on a 1024 (yes, people do that fudge nuggets) the proposed layout is going to be really cramped.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #14

s/Data/Recent activity/?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.