Skip to main content
Topic: Menus menyooz munyews - them things with all teh linkys in 'em. (Read 17708 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Menus menyooz munyews - them things with all teh linkys in 'em.

Reply #30

LOL .. I don't recall anyone saying bug free in march :P  .... feature locked and buggy perhaps, yes yes that's obtainable :D

Maybe someone can take a shot on a menu editor,  we already have lots of stuff on the plate to try and get done.

Reply #31

Yeah TBH it'd be nice, but I defo don't think it's necessary for a release. Someone will make a mod for it anyway, so that would do for the first year.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #32

Hey menus stuff. Are we keeping the sidebar and the droppies, or ditching one of them? Don't really care, just curious since it was talked about earlier.

ETA: Also, how do we plan to handle tablets (ie: touchscreens that will want full desktop layout and content)?

Reply #33

Quote from: Antechinus – Hey menus stuff. Are we keeping the sidebar and the droppies, or ditching one of them? Don't really care, just curious since it was talked about earlier.
They don't bite.  O:-)
Well, usually.

Seriously, this sounds like we'd be going too far on the side of 'simplification'. People are usually fans of one or the other, and it matters for their overall forum experience.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #34

Yeah well have been thinking about stuff. We already have code for the current hover drops, and code for the flyouts on the sidebar menus, but we aint got nuffink (not really) for the holy stone tablets. Them peeps don't like our droppies at all. Not any of them. Nasty and slow, they are.

So, are we going to have a tablet-friendly menu system too? That would make three of them (or four, if you want tablet-friendly for droppies and sidebars).

Reply #35

Bumping dis. Is good question innit. Tablets are everywhere. Even penguins at the South Pole use them. :)

Reply #36

Quote from: Antechinus – So, are we going to have a tablet-friendly menu system too? That would make three of them (or four, if you want tablet-friendly for droppies and sidebars).
Detection for tablets:
https://github.com/Spuds/Elkarte/commit/23af25764440af929cf0f0723b1764f54a9e1483
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #37

Yup. Is good. Now that Elk can detect them, what is it going to do about them? Point being that hover drops are crap on touchscreen, so if you want to keep tablets munchers happy you'll need something else.

Reply #38

Fortunately old superfish after laying dormant for some time, is now getting updated https://github.com/joeldbirch/superfish

This version provides touch, click and hover events ... Its installed on this site now for testing ... I gave it a shot from my nexus and the touch menus seemed fine. 

I also set up the option (not here but in a PR I made) to allow the user to choose hover or click menus so they can navigate how they like

Reply #39

Now with added bloat. :D

TBH I've completely lost interest in, Superfish, and will just be throwing it away if it comes with any software I run. IMO, it's outdated and a waste of code.
Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:03:04 pm by Antechinus

Reply #40

That directly from the ministry of useless comments

Reply #41

Live to you from the interwebz.

Reply #42

Quote from: Spuds – I also set up the option (not here but in a PR I made) to allow the user to choose hover or click menus so they can navigate how they like
So when can we have that here? :D

Reply #43

I'll do a sync of the repo to the site this PM, time for that anyway so we can chase some more bugz out!

Reply #44

Sync is done ...

cache refreshes for everyone :P (might need to do it again the admin section) .... the click thingy for testing is under profile look/layout so you can test out click vs hover etc, have not done much testing on that fwiw but should be good enough for people to get a feel for one or the other.