Skip to main content
Topic: The endless collection of BBC codes (Read 7478 times) previous topic - next topic

The endless collection of BBC codes

We have a lot of BBC tags that we support, and there are several that are just not used much, well IMO.  So my thought is to remove some of these tags, which helps trim parse_bbc and the js editor commands a bit. 

So here are some that I think can go, and if someone really wants them, we could make a quick addon out of the ones removed as a BBC extension pack.

[abbr] -- abbreviation tag
[acronym] -- Same as above, just another name for it, you know since its used so much we needed two names
[bdo] -- reverses the text from rtl or ltr
[black  -- shortcut for color=black, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[blue  -- shortuct for color=blue, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[flash] -- embed flash to the page, do people use this or allow it?
[ftp] -- I can see the use of this, but how often is it really used in a normal forum
[glow] -- Can't say how much I dislike this one
[green -- shortuct for color=green, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[ltr] -- place text in a ltr div, is this needed for internationalization reasons?
[move] -- Yeah I know some folks love this, but its only good with parrots
[php] -- Probably for code highlight use, but our code tag will do all of this now.
[red -- shortuct for color=red, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[rtl] -- place text in a rtl div, is this needed for internationalization reasons?
[shadow] -- as if glow was not enough to create unreadable text
[time] -- I guess I've never needed this, useful for some?
[white -- shortuct for color=white, actually converted in preparse to the color tag

Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:16:49 pm by Spuds

Re: The endless collection of BBC codes

Reply #1

Agree,  feel free to remove all of those listed BBCODES.  We still could port some and make them an addon for those guys and girls who really need it :P
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – We have a lot of BBC tags that we support, and there are several that are just not used much, well IMO.  So my though is to remove some of these tags, which helps trim parse_bbc and the js editor commands a bit.  
 emanuele wants MOARRRR!!

ehm...no wait I'm not Feature Cat! lol

Quote from: Spuds –
[abbr] -- abbreviation tag
[acronym] -- Same as above, just another name for it, you know since its used so much we needed two names
I use them once or twice a year, one of the two could go easily, the other... oh well, I can live without, it will be a sad life but I think I can.
 emanuele goes buy some chocolate. :P

[bdo] -- reverses the text from rtl or ltr
[ltr] -- place text in a ltr div, is this needed for internationalization reasons?
[rtl] -- place text in a rtl div, is this needed for internationalization reasons?
Always wondered it nice to have for internationalization or just another round of "funny" tags.

[flash] -- embed flash to the page, do people use this or allow it?
[ftp] -- I can see the use of this, but how often is it really used in a normal forum
[glow] -- Can't say how much I dislike this one
[move] -- Yeah I know some folks love this, but its only good with parrots
[shadow] -- as if glow was not enough to create unreadable text

[php] -- Probably for code highlight use, but our code tag will do all of this now.
Yup.
With the brand-new code-highlighting php code is history.

[black  -- shortcut for color=black, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[blue  -- shortuct for color=blue, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[green -- shortuct for color=green, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[red -- shortuct for color=red, actually converted in preparse to the bbc color tag
[white -- shortuct for color=white, actually converted in preparse to the color tag

Never used much...don't like colours...from time to time I may use red, though it's not worth keeping.

[time] -- I guess I've never needed this, useful for some?
Only to know what it was going to do... LOL

TL;DR
 emanuele is sad because you didn't read all my post, but apart from that:
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

For anyone upgrading from SMF, this will fix any existing acronym tags (we had a lot of them):

Code: (mysql) [Select]
UPDATE elk_messages
SET body=replace(replace(body,'[/acronym','[/abbr'),'[acronym=','[abbr=')
where body like '%[acronym=%'

Reply #4

You could just add another BBC tag. It would probably be easier.

Why wasn't ftp (and br) removed?

Reply #5

br is actually useful in certain edge-case situations (at least I remember I used it a couple of times LOL).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Quote from: nwsw – For anyone upgrading from SMF, this will fix any existing acronym tags (we had a lot of them):

Code: (mysql) [Select]
UPDATE elk_messages
SET body=replace(replace(body,'[/acronym','[/abbr'),'[acronym=','[abbr=')
where body like '%[acronym=%'
Thanks for the Info, I'll try to update OpenImporter to automatically convert those tags.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – br is actually useful in certain edge-case situations (at least I remember I used it a couple of times LOL).
This is very true, don't remove it.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #8

I only need bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, font size, font color, quote, code, table, tr, td, bullet list, numbered list, footnote, image and link.  ;)

Reply #10

Quote from: Jorin – I only need bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, font size, font color, quote, code, table, tr, td, bullet list, numbered list, footnote, image and link.  ;)
I find subtext and supertext can be useful, especially in some technical discussions.

Antechinus should whip up the infamous bouncing parrots tag for Elk. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #11

Love your old stupid and funny BBCodes of yours ;D
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~