Skip to main content
Topic: Ajax Inline Message Preview (Read 4026 times) previous topic - next topic

Ajax Inline Message Preview

I was thinking of re-writing the said SMF mod to ElkArte with one problem, my javascript command including jquery is poor  :( . The key to this mod is that, other than java, it is using xml to pass from display to message index page. I will try play aroud and see what I can come out with. Hope to see some ideas and suppots on this too. ;)

Re: Ajax Inline Message Preview

Reply #1

To be honest I haven't seen your other mod, so I can't propose so much... link? O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I think I can make this work but I am not so sure of what cost.

Reply #4

Hm, I don't like it. No need to work on it for me.  ;)

Reply #5

Sorry, I missed your reply... :-[

Judging by the look of it, I think you can use almost the same code used in the infinite scrolling addon, just a bit of javascript would change to let you 1) show the buttons to load the messages and 2) load the previews from the message index instead of the display page.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I used that mod on smf :)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

If anyone misunderstood, I don't mean its costs in the sense of $$$ though, I mean it in the sense of performance.

And thanks @emanuele as I was also thinking a long that line too. Anyway, would there be any "penalty" for using this kind of addon?

Reply #8

I've a doubt if with "penalty" you are referring to performances or to google and alike, so I'll write about performances also because we can say no problem for google.

In general you have to worry about performances when the script does something automatically without need of user interaction, for example chats that probe the server every few seconds waiting for new messages, because in that case it means that each online user is doing something repeatedly even though if the page is open in a tab left around since "the old days" (so you open a tab and forgot about it).
On the contrary, if you are doing something that requires user interaction (i.e. click a link), th worst it can do is act like a person browsing very fast the website, but it cannot do much more than that. And a person that browses very fast the website is not really a source of problems unless 1) the server is under capacity already 2) the process is very slow or heavy (like a search).

In that case, you are loading messages, something that is done on a regular basis (display page), so you are not doing something exceptional, and you are doing it wating for user interaction (i.e. click on the button), so the operation classifies in the second category and you don't have to worry about performances. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

I have to note this as I am more forgetful now but I am thinking to proceed with this idea, soon.

Reply #10

@inter can you add this into your FlarumStyle addon or create a new one?

Reply #11

In FlarumStyle mod a list of Ajax is now stretched. (Click on "Load More" Button)
Sorry for my English