Skip to main content
Topic: Public post reports: send to board instead of mod centre? (Read 2651 times) previous topic - next topic

Public post reports: send to board instead of mod centre?

So someone raised this idea, which kinda got me thinking. They currently use vB, and they send all reported posts to a public board. They like everything open so more people can throw wobblies about it. Keeps things entertaining. Net drama FTW.

Anyway, SMF 1.1.x had no moderation centre at all. Any reports went straight to the site's default web mail address, which obviously meant the staff never saw them coz they never bothered checking that email. Even if you did check the web mail it was a hopeless format for discussion.

So, some clever bloke (can't remember who) wrote the vReportBoard mod, which hijacked the emails and sent them to a board of your choice, and created a new thread for each new report. This was really cool.

So today's question is: if someone wanted reported posts (and discussions of them) to be publicly viewable, without turning every member into a moderator, how hard would it be to arrange this?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Public post reports: send to board instead of mod centre?

Reply #1

LOL, I just imagined this on sm.org and laughed my #$$ off ;D

On a serious note: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3011 would obviously need to be ported over, but then it's just a matter of making the board public instead of private.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #2

Ah cool. Didn't know about that one. That's basically the same as the old mod I was thinking of, at least in terms of results.

Code looks pretty straightforward, going from the parser. Should be fairly easy to port. License shouldn't present any problems. Looks like a winner.

And yeah, it'd be awesome at smf.org.

Reply #3

O_o
A public board for reports?
How is that different from just post a reply in the topic and start a flame war? (Except the flame war is in another board.)

Using hook may be tricky but not impossible. The moderation code needs a lot of love (still).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – How is that different from just post a reply in the topic and start a flame war? (Except the flame war is in another board.)
Exactly ahahahahah ;D Omg it's so funny!

Quote from: emanuele – The moderation code needs a lot of love (still).
Isn't it every single line that needs love? :P

On a serious note the code with that is fine, been using it for a lot of time and no bugs found, except it throws a white page if I access action=moderate;area=reports; "Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /Sources/ModerationCenter.php on line 202"
with $mod_include_data['function'](); (at the bottom) being the 202.
Code: [Select]
	// I don't know where we're going - I don't know where we've been...
$menuOptions = array(
'action' => 'moderate',
'disable_url_session_check' => true,
);
$mod_include_data = createMenu($moderation_areas, $menuOptions);
unset($moderation_areas);

// We got something - didn't we? DIDN'T WE!
if ($mod_include_data == false)
fatal_lang_error('no_access', false);

// Retain the ID information in case required by a subaction.
$context['moderation_menu_id'] = $context['max_menu_id'];
$context['moderation_menu_name'] = 'menu_data_' . $context['moderation_menu_id'];

// What a pleasant shortcut - even tho we're not *really* on the admin screen who cares...
$context['admin_area'] = $mod_include_data['current_area'];

// Build the link tree.
$context['linktree'][] = array(
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=moderate',
'name' => $txt['moderation_center'],
);
if (isset($mod_include_data['current_area']) && $mod_include_data['current_area'] != 'index')
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=moderate;area=' . $mod_include_data['current_area'],
'name' => $mod_include_data['label'],
);
if (!empty($mod_include_data['current_subsection']) && $mod_include_data['subsections'][$mod_include_data['current_subsection']][0] != $mod_include_data['label'])
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=moderate;area=' . $mod_include_data['current_area'] . ';sa=' . $mod_include_data['current_subsection'],
'name' => $mod_include_data['subsections'][$mod_include_data['current_subsection']][0],
);

// Now - finally - the bit before the encore - the main performance of course!
if (!$dont_call)
{
if (isset($mod_include_data['file']))
require_once($sourcedir . '/' . $mod_include_data['file']);

$mod_include_data['function']();
}
}
I figure it happens because that mod obviously breaks the usual report area... It can be interesting to add to the package an automatic redirect when I click on Reported posts in the top menu, there isn't by default and personally I did it in Subs, but need to have a field and pull the board from there, in that case.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – O_o
A public board for reports?
How is that different from just post a reply in the topic and start a flame war? (Except the flame war is in another board.)
Hey, they're weird. They like it that way.

QuoteUsing hook may be tricky but not impossible. The moderation code needs a lot of love (still).
If the Elk moderation code is still much the same as the SMF code, it shouldn't be too hard to port the existing mod to Elk. If you've gone and mutated Elk beyond all recognition, that could be a bit tricky.